1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let nature sing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Apr 26, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I am very bad at identifying birdsong and am really looking for the natural world's Shazzam but am going to download this RSPB birdsong collection - not least because it was recorded by a relative of mine. Adrian Thomas is a lovely chap who is the son of my fathers cousin so I have no idea what relationship that is, but I sat by him at his mum's 80th birthday lunch and he was completely charming.
    Just discovered that there are lots of birdsong identification apps - has anyone tried an of them. Might try BirdGenie

needabreak likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Second cousin once removed? Or I might have just made that up :D

Maybe just 2nd or 3rd cousin.

lindenlea likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My Dad is brilliant at birdsong identification, even though he is now nearly ninety and rather deaf. He will wander through a woodland and say "Oh, listen, a whitethroat." or "There, do you hear that? It's a Cetti's warbler." I am rubbish. I must be a disappointment to him...

lindenlea likes this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

He's your second cousin.

lindenlea likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Reading the article in the Guardian it seems that Adrian began recording these birds in 2016. I think that was the year his father died, who was a great birder. That is poignant.

6. rematch

rematch New commenter

I had no idea such apps existed, what a wonderful idea.

I take great delight with my bird book and identifying the visitors in our garden. I'm rubbish at it but I'm keen!

nizebaby likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

the lovely bird app on my old phone didn't make the transfer to my new one. We're in normandy at the moment and I'm really missing it. Time to get a new oneI I wonder how they're getting on with the birdsong point-your-phone birdsong recognition app. Nizeman told me that it presented big techical difficulties, but maybe progress has been made since then.

I think I know why blackbirds are caught so often by cats. Whereas sparrows seem to behave like airborne meercats, blackbirds seem to have a tendency to try to hide in the undergrowth.

I'm no expert but I spend a lot of time here looking at and listening to the local birds. It's a great time for blackbirds here at the moment because the ground is soft from rain.

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

And yesterday I found a whole host of orchids at the side of a main road, where people rarely walk!

mothorchid likes this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

The sorrel is rampant, so we'll be having sorrel soup this week.

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Sorry for the distraction. Tonight will be the scallops and the liver, which we bought yesterday. Plaice for lunch tomorrow.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Nightingales arrived here earlier this month. Their intricate round-the-clock song is unmistakable but it is almost impossible to catch sight of them because they immediately shut up if they see you looking. Our red-throated swallows are raising their third generation under the porch. As beginners three years ago they built a perfect inverted bowl of a nest at the third attempt (The beams look like rough timber but are in fact reinforced concrete). Either she or he had the brilliant idea of weaving a hair-ribbon in and out of the mud pellets. Their first brood were incompetents who tumbled out of the nest and sat, fat and gormless, until we scooped them out of the way of our raving dogs. Last year's were accomplished flyers from the first so we are optimistic about this year's lot.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Will that be two plaices for lunch tomorrow?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Typical environmentalists; not one of them will give a link and recommendation