1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lessons 'Up Your Sleeve'

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lara mfl 05, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well if you want to spend all that time preparing lessons, some of which you may never use even if you stay on supply for years (by which time they'll be outdated anyway).
    To be honest i have little prepared in the way of prepared lessons as I found the chances of being in the same year group doing the same unit of work so unlikely I gave up.
    I try to get to any school nice and early. I quickly scan the classroom for clues as to waht children are currently learning. Quick scan thorugh their books and decide what to do based on that. If lessons are left, which is often the case, one needs little in the way of resources (or has them at home anyway). This, I find, fits in better with their usual learning-just have to think quickly on one's feet.
    But you've got "a temporary 1 term contract that I've recently finished" so you've more experience than you think. Believe in yourself.

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

One of the advantages of supply work is that by going to a variety of schools you are coming across lots of schemes of work and ideas for lessons. My advise would be to collect any ideas you come across that you like for use in your teaching practice. This could be copies of worksheets, games or computer presentations (I would ask permission first before downloading stuff from a school's computer into your memory stick). Within a short while of regular supply you will have a teaching file that would be the envy of many regular teachers.
    The TES website is also an excellent place to find resources.
    I don't think its OTT to be fully prepared for as many eventualities as possible.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

If you pm me your email address I will email you a few powerpoints I used. Very resource free, which is always handy for last minute calls. Poetry, setting pics to describe etc. Mainly literacy based. If you pm me what area of the country you are in then if I'm close by you could have some of my books.
    For maths how about using maths challenges for able pupils as these are easily photocopied and take a lot of thinking for the pupils which means they can often take a full lesson. You could always have a range available and use ones from younger year groups for lower ability children.
    http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/4826/1/nns_mathchallenge008300_all.pdf

For the afternoons I found it easier to have lots of PSHE activities up my sleeve as it isn't resource heavy.
    As you get more days you could always buy a few text books that have photocopiable worksheets in them if you find you need them. I did supply this month and only needed to wing it for one afternoon which was fine.

4. I've done supply for a few months now, and hardly ever had a day or afternoon without lessons and activities already planned. I tend to do KS2, and carry a few ideas and worksheets for year 3/4 and 5/6, for literacy (poetry is good as it can be done as one off lesson) and maths (I have a few games on worksheets which only require dice or counters), and also pshe type things, like design a crest for yourself/your class etc. Observational drawing, which could be friend's face or items you find in the classroom, is also good for an afternoon, any age group in KS2. I have the OUtside the Box books too, my favourite activity is the Tidyuns and Messyites one, last week a year 5 class spent all afternoon doing this activity and were very happy. Don't rely on having a computer/interactive whiteboard though, very often the teacher has his/her computer with them! I find the hardest thing is not what to do, it's behaviour management when you don't know them...or even their names.

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I always found primaryresources a great place to just print off worksheets at short notice. I once spent a full weekend putting together a file of resources for Years 1 to 6 for maths and literacy, only to do one days work, get a job and never use it again!
    In a lot of cases the work will be left for you anyway.

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Look at TES resources. Someone very kindly put up a supply pack of lesson ideas for each year grp which I've used a couple of times as sparks for my own ideas. I can't remember who exactly .... richard xxx. If you search for supply resources though, or supply pack 2, you should come up with something.
    I also try to hook an idea onto something the class have been doing. And word problems are always handy. Check out primaryresources.co.uk as there are often lessons on there ready to use.

7. Be careful about having all your lessons etc on a memory stick. Most schools I go into don't leave me a laptop/computer to use. I carry a file with photocopable sheets in and some laminated cards for quick ideas.
    I too scan the walls and books for ideas if no plans (usually a Monday morning when someone has called in sick.
    Don't worry, you'll be fine just make sure you set your expectations out straight away and get the TA on your side too. They are brilliant for finding stuff for the lesson.

8. Lara mfl 05

VERY good advice. They can be really instrumental in helping you have a good day (or equally a rotten day!)

9. guinnesspuss

I'm sorry I've been looking and I can no longer find it. [​IMG]
    Really annoying.

10. Lara mfl 05

Hopefully this will be it
    <h3>Primary supply pack

by

sm1971

</h3>

11. Thanks for all your ideas and advice! The supply pack is great, thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of that. I'm feeling more prepared now, although I still have a bit of apprehensiveness that I can't shake off and probably won't until I've survived my first supply day, haha!

12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Thank you Lara
    The bridge building activity could also be used (maybe with some modification) for older students as well.

13. guinnesspuss

Actually it wasn't that one. It had suggestions for all year groups from Rec to y6 not in detail but brief notes. If you PM me I'll try and send it to you.

14. darkness

darkness New commenter

Quite a few years back, I posted a similar thread and there was little response really. My experience though is, get a set of language books ready, for each age group, a couple of quid on Amazon. Sorted. Maths, there should always be stuff there in the school. And then, a couple of websites, I would be surprised if there were now no IWBs or computers in the school, so you can print something off quick sharp. At the very least, your mornings are always sorted. NGFL website or primary resources is it? There you can pick something for the afternoon.

15. guinnesspuss

Drat it - yes it was sm ~.... The 'supply pack' is one of the resources on there - silly me - I'd downloaded it separately.

16. Lara mfl 05

Thought so.[​IMG]

17. You will find that the more you get to know the schools, the easier it is to fit into their way of doing things.
    Most teachers will leave you something as they don't want their planning affected.
    For the schools that don't, have one idea for literacy, one for maths, one for science, one for d&t and one for PE if you feel brave (!) that can be adapted across all year groups.
    The Government's SEAL stuff for PSHE can be easily adapted. Also, something like recount writing for literacy is good, or character work on traditional tales. These can be adapted across all age groups. (Simple diary writing/drawing for EYFS).
    Primary Resources is legendary and always worth a look. By selecting a topic, you will quickly get an impression of what needs to be covered in each age group.
    A good all rounder for maths is shape or time.
    1. Get to the classroom early
    2. Have a look round to see if anything has been left
    3. Look in the children's books
    4. Be aware of any class/school topics or themes
    5. Back it all up with your own resources.
    Hope this helps.