1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lessons per week

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mike372, May 14, 2012.

1. mike372

mike372 New commenter

I'm currently teaching maths in Thailand for a year before I begin my training so I know about the Thai system, but not too sure about how things work back home. I've got a few questions to ask but I'll start with:

What's the average amount of lessons that a maths teacher would teach per week (or does it vary too much to give an average). How does the number change for teaches with a few/many years experience of if the teacher teaches A-Level?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. mike372

mike372 New commenter

I'm currently teaching maths in Thailand for a year before I begin my training so I know about the Thai system, but not too sure about how things work back home. I've got a few questions to ask but I'll start with:

What's the average amount of lessons that a maths teacher would teach per week (or does it vary too much to give an average). How does the number change for teaches with a few/many years experience of if the teacher teaches A-Level?

Thanks,
    Mike

3. 1) Average hours per week is roughly 22, although you may be asked to do occsioanl cover and you will probably be asked to be a tutor which can add up to 3 hours per week.
    2) No change due to experience, unless you are an NQT. No change due to teachuing A-level. All in all, you get 1265 directed hours a year. This will include "Free" lessons, meetings, parents' evenings etc.
    cyolba, now at about 2525 hours this year :)

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

22.5 per week for me, plus just under 2 hours a week form tutor. No cover of other lessons at all.
    Pay and conditions (in state schools) guarantee you 10% of the standard teaching load per week as PPA (planning, preparation and assessment time). We have 30 periods a week, standard load is 27, with 3 PPA periods.
    Teachers with responsibility get more "free" periods - maybe 2,3...more. They may then teach as few as 17 hours per week (eg)

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

As cyolba said, no difference in terms of hours taught v experience (although pay does rise with experience until a limit is reached).
    NQTs also get an additional 10% reduction on timetable for their first year of teaching for induction/training etc.