1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LESSONS ON NETS AND 3D SHAPES

Discussion in 'Primary' started by babyboomer, Oct 2, 2008.

1. princess77

princess77 New commenter

2. princess77

princess77 New commenter

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

"This box contains a Christmas present for my mum. Becuase it's so special, I want to wrap it in special wrapping paper. The paper is so rare that it costs A HUNDRED POUNDS PER SHEET! Luckily I only have to pay for the amount I use.

"As I don't have much money, I need to find the smallest possible piece of paper that will wrap the present - no overlaps or pieces joined at corners. Who can find out what shape that would be?"

Give out wrapping paper and shapes to groups of children and let them get on with it. They can cut only after their group has decided what shape they are going to cut out. Check by wrapping the present. After a while tell them that the piece of paper they have chosen is called the net of the shape, and yes, sometimes there is more than one pssible way to do it.

Support: Give them a few possibilities and ask "Which of these ways would work for this shape?" (effectively multiple choice, but make sure they cut out and test each one)

Extension: there are ?? ways to wrap this cube; can you find them all?

This idea is from my November newsletter, so don't be surprised to see it again in your inbox as a seasonal suggestion!