1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lessons on clay skills - but i don't have any!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher2b, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Help needed please! This next half term I am meant to be doing a unit on clay. Planning on having a clay pot as the end result but unsure about what skills need to be taught and how to teach them. Advice at school was to get the children to make a clay tile and practice engraving - we have lots of tools - surely I need to do more than this?

2. Help needed please! This next half term I am meant to be doing a unit on clay. Planning on having a clay pot as the end result but unsure about what skills need to be taught and how to teach them. Advice at school was to get the children to make a clay tile and practice engraving - we have lots of tools - surely I need to do more than this?

3. If they are going to make pots you also need to teach them the skills of shaping clay. Give each of them a small lump and tell them to roll it into a sausage, then roll it out flat with a rolling pin. One skill is then to mould the sides up to make a pot. Then you can use the same piece of clay to make a small rectangular base, then fix small sausages around the outside and build them up one on top of the other to make walls. Not sure whether there are any other pot making techniques but those are the ones I've used.
    They will probably also need two weeks to make the actual pot if its going to be made and decorated, so you will need to store the pots in between lessons in a sealed container so they don't dry out.

4. I can think of 3 ways of making a pot.
    1. Pinch pot - take a small ball of clay, push your thumb into the middle to make a hole (don't go right through the middle!), then use your thumb & forefinger to pinch round to make the sides. The more you pinch, the higher the sides will be. Take care not to make them too thin.

2. Coil pot - roll the clay into sausages, make a circle with one sausage, then build up the sides by putting more on top. Try & make the sausages the same lenght & thickness. Joining the sides together is a skill, they usually just squash them down. A base can be made & joined afterwards.

3. Slab pot. Roll out the clay to an even thickness. Cut it into a retangle. It's easiest to find a cylinder to wrap the clay round (drainpipes work quite well, but wrap them in newspaper first, otherwise the clay will stick to the pipe). Wrap the clay round into a pot shape & join the edges.

All the above take time to master!
    Good luck
    Kat

5. Good advice above.

Sorry but the thread title made me laugh. I can totally relate! In fact anything to do with Art, D&T, Music - I haven't got a clue.

When am I going to get sussed out that I just can't teach these things.

6. thanks all.

I'm the same - maths/literacy, no problem, anything practicle though and I have to get on here and cry for help!!

7. Hiya, I did a unit on this for Y3 a few years ago, was observed by OfSTED and had a very good lesson. If you leave your email I could send you the plan which you might find has some useful stuff in it.

Tink

8. www.artisancam.co.uk has online video, step by step instructions and demonstrations by children and adults. It's worked really well in all of the schools I have taught in.

9. Teacher2be - you have mail!

10. What year group is it? This will depend on the skills you will teach.
    Could you work with plasticine as well? Especially if you are working with air hardening clay, as hands draw the moisture out very quickly.

I did a similar unit with yr5. They had to make pots for a famous person. E.g. doughnut for Homer. CD for musician, mircophone etc. We did mock ups with plasticine first. I taught them the three basic methods, as already mentioned, then they evaluated and decided which would be best for their pot. They then made them and painted them.

If it is KS1 would not recommend rolling pins and slab pots as they often don't have the necessary skills or muscle power, as I found out when taking after school pottery. However by rolling up little balls of clay and pressing them into a mould it worked very well, and great for fine motor control.

You can also make great pots from leaves, rollout clay, cut round leaf or template and press into a bowl.

Coil pots make fantastic greek urns, and you can paint the designs on after.

Just make sure they join the clay properly. You should not be able to pull off the coils or sides. They need to know how to make slip. Take a ball of clay, push finger in ( like making a pinch pot) then add a small amount of water. You are basically making sludge which acts like a glue. They also need to hatch any two bits that tounch. Same principal as scoring plaster, wood before you paint.

Have fun, hope this helps.

11. Hey,
    I am doing a clay skills lesson with Y4 next week and would love it if you wouldn't mind sending me your plan for clay.
    nicnox_uk@yahoo.co.uk
    Thank you in advance and appreciate your work and advice
    Nicola