1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lessons for nothing

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by PARTALOA, Dec 6, 2011.

1. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

I registered with an introductory agency who allocates a guide price that customers would be expected to pay me for tutoring. However, I couldn't believe when I rang one person who asked me to teach for 2 hours for 10 pounds. The rate per hour was 20 which was in the middle of the recommended rate per hour. Then someone else contacted me and wanted tutoring for 8 pound an hour for 2 children. Couldn't believe it!!! It took me 9 years studying part-time to get my degree and PGCE and lots of debt. On top of that can't get a full time permanent post teaching and now I'm working in the care sector to make ends meet? I teach Italian, Spanish and English (plus CELTA) but there is no demand in FE. I've tried setting up a language course in primary schools but they are not interested. I've been teaching on short term holiday courses on adhoc basis. When I apply for jobs don't get anywhere as I can't get experience teaching at GCSE level. It's so disheartening!!!!

2. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

I registered with an introductory agency who allocates a guide price that customers would be expected to pay me for tutoring. However, I couldn't believe when I rang one person who asked me to teach for 2 hours for 10 pounds. The rate per hour was 20 which was in the middle of the recommended rate per hour. Then someone else contacted me and wanted tutoring for 8 pound an hour for 2 children. Couldn't believe it!!! It took me 9 years studying part-time to get my degree and PGCE and lots of debt. On top of that can't get a full time permanent post teaching and now I'm working in the care sector to make ends meet? I teach Italian, Spanish and English (plus CELTA) but there is no demand in FE. I've tried setting up a language course in primary schools but they are not interested. I've been teaching on short term holiday courses on adhoc basis. When I apply for jobs don't get anywhere as I can't get experience teaching at GCSE level. It's so disheartening!!!!

3. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

This could be the joy of tutoring a subject less in demand academically and for which there are a lot of suppliers prepared to work for £10 an hour- students doing degrees and the like, who are after what is effectively pocket money.

You may need to hold your nerve and try to achieve the (fair) rate you advertise. I charge the top rate from the range agencies quote and if someone thinks they can get the same quality tution for less, then good luck to them. I'd far rather teach one hour at £30 than two at £15!

DB

4. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Totally agree, I'm sticking to my guns!!! If they want quality teaching they'll just have to pay for it!! The clients that I have taught have always been more than happy to pay the going rate. Also, if clients are looking at the agency rates then they shouldn't be asking to pay lower than the recommended rates. !!!

5. Why are you working though an agency!?

Why are you working through an agency that encourages clients to haggle!!?

Advertise. It's far more cost effective.

Good luck with it.

6. The problem with teaching languages is that there are lots of "natives" without any qualification, experience or actual knowledge of teaching whatsoever willing to tutor for as little as 6 pounds per hour.
    Take a look at the adverts in Gumtree London, they are stunning! people offering 1st lessons for free and then ridiculously low rates for the lessons.
    Now, I think most people won't be fooled by this and sensible people will make sure they get a proper tutor.

7. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Interesting point. When I asked what happened with the previous tutor, the client replied that after a while they didn't turn up. I wonder why ??? something to do with the low rate and realising it's not worth their while I expect.

8. With regards to the agency, do they get the same cut regardless of how much you are paid?
    Just a thought, but have you thought of joining a franchise like La Jolie Ronde? They have a huge stake in the primary school market.