1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson study; guided reading focus

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 2005rachel0, Oct 27, 2016.

1. 2005rachel0

2005rachel0 New commenter

Hi all, anyone got any ideas as to what I could do my lesson study on this year? Its got to be done in my guided reading set (half an hour daily, top set year 5, 33 children) I'm totally lost as to what I can do! I work in a deprived area so vocabulary is an issue but how do I show what a difference I can make in just 30 minutes? Thank you.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why do you need to do a lesson study?

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Lesson study is a process for studying learning in a collaborative way. You can't do it by yourself.
    Are you sure you mean lesson study?

4. 2005rachel0

We have to do lesson study every year at my school, part of our CPD

5. 2005rachel0

Yes I definitely mean lesson study, I've done many previous ones. But this year I'm lost for a thread to focus on. The other person doing this with me (I know its supposed to be 3 of us but we have been told to do it in pairs) isn't particularly forthcoming with ideas / enthusiam so thought I'd get started with some ideas of my own but have none!

6. digoryvenn

If you know what your school improvement priorities are you could link it to one of those.
    Have your teacher assessments highlighted any particular needs or 'gaps in learning'?
    You could have a look at the EEF research for some ideas, e.g. feedback, use of TAS, small group teaching etc.
    Good luck.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are doing it in guided reading, what is it that either of you find tricky about GR? Choose that. Then you will be developing your own practice.

Or what does the school want to improve with GR? Do that.

Is your school open to the idea of different ways of organising GR? Some schools have done a carousel for years and now do whole class. Could you experiment with this kind of thing?

8. 2005rachel0

Our SDP priorities don't contain reading! I've not heard of the EEF before so I'll look there thank you.
    There is no chance of me changing the sets we already have; the head decided those and I have no TA and no chance of getting one as I have top set y5 readers. I feel I'm really limited to what I can try to change, thank you for your replies.

9. digoryvenn

Focus on how you can improve learning.
    Good luck.