1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson plans

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CDEDIEGO, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi
    Can you tell me if it is acceptable to demand full lesson plans from every teacher for every lessont they teach? Is this not overloading the teachers which will have a negative effect on thier performance?
    thanks

2. Hi
    Can you tell me if it is acceptable to demand full lesson plans from every teacher for every lessont they teach? Is this not overloading the teachers which will have a negative effect on thier performance?
    thanks

3. I think you need to ask why you would want these documents. Is is to reassure yourself that the teachers know what they are up to or is it to ensure that the teachers 'have what they need'?
    If the former, then I suggest that a chat with the teacher on their way of working, pupils' exam results & a few observations may satisfy that need.
    If the latter, then the answer would be as follows:
    For experienced teachers, asking for a written plan would be excessive (I would say). Most will know what they want the pupils to achieve by the end of the lesson & will know what works and they will have a plan in their head.They will also be able to recognise if & when to deviate from their plan. A more useful document, in my opinion, would simply be a timetable of dates indicating when they are planning to get through the different sections of the SOW or syllabus.This timetable would be flexible to plus or minus a week or two.
    For less confident teachers, I would suggest a more detailed plan is a useful tool. This would also list specific resources that needed to be included in the lessons & maybe the syllabus points that the lesson is intended to cover or address.This document would be a 'living document', modified as the teacher moved through the syllabus & would help them next year with delivering the material even better!
    Lesson plans, in my opinion, are only really useful either as a crutch for NQTs or for people (such as myself) teaching a new subject where I am sometimes only 1 lesson ahead of the pupils or for a formal observation where the observer needs to know what is happening. All teachers should be able to go 'off plan' if the circumstances demand it. Hence, having a database of lesson plansis a waste of resources, staff time & a route to rapid loss of goodwill & staff morale.

4. Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooo.

5. v12

v12

[punchline to a rather contrived joke]:
    ....The gap is too large between the 'Pig' and 'and' and 'and' and 'Whistle'.
    There. I win.