1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson plans v PowerPoints

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Goat2, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

In preparing a group of science teachers for impending OfSTED we had conflicting views on what they currently see as valid information as to the lesson they are observing. Normally I would have said some form of simple lesson plan setting out objectives, tasks, highlighting the way to meet specific individual needs etc.( that's June 2013!) but a couple in the group had heard from others coming out of need to improve' that their supporting HMI had suggested a simple copy of their PowerPoint slides annotated in some way would do.( now jan 2014!)

What has been your experience in the last few months as to what they see as acceptable?

Thanks

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

They need to know that you have planned the lesson, which does not mean a lesson plan. The guidelines state you have to show evidence planning which does not mean a lesson plan and they cannot request one from you.

It would be silly not to do some form of planning; we have started to use the 5 minute lesson plan at our school - I did one for my last lesson observation and it said everything that was needed and completed very quckly.

Of course, if you use a PPT it will also help to show that you have planned; during our last Ofsted I just had PPTs and they clearly showed that I had planned well (which the inspector commented upon in feedback).

I think it may depend on how rigidly you follow union guidelines as to whether you complete some form of lesson plan or not!