1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson plans for NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by fez_man, Oct 22, 2011.

1. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

Hello,
    Can anyone help me. I've heard a rumour that during a NQT teacher, I would need to produce lesson plans for every lesson I teach.
    Is that right?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. I do for every lesson!
    It is half term why am i up sooo early.......and on this!

3. It depends on your school. Check with your mentor. I did a medium term and weekly plan for maths and literacy and then medium term plans for all other subjects which I then worked directly from. I only had to do an individual lesson plan when I was being observed. Schools approach this very differently though. There is no general requirement for this as an NQT, but it might be a requirement of your school generally.

4. I only have to produce daily lesson plans for English and maths, but I've been sketching out a plan for all of my other lessons, and then adding a short self-evaluation to them, saying what went well, and what I could improve on just for my own professional development. Because my school plans directly from the National Curriculum, I've also recorded which bits I've covered so that I can demonstrate this, should I need to at any point.

5. As above, check with your school/mentor. I have planned all of my lessons in great detail, but haven't written a single "lesson plan" since qualifying. My NQT mentor wants me to deliver well planned lessons - she doesn't care whether I have a physical lesson plan to show to her or anyone else.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Same in my school more or less. We all do it.

7. My literacy and numeracy planning is moderated, so is in more detail. But foundation subject plans are quite brief, more a weekly overview with activities, starter, plenary, learning objectives, resources I need, key questions, and then a short self evaluation. I prefer to plan in enough detail that I, or someone else, could easily interpret my plans and teach from them.

8. I'm expected to have an overview page per class (secondary - I have 13 classes per week, and 9 of those change each half term), which takes into account SEN/G&T, whether I have the use of a TA, and the outcomes I am expecting from the project in general. I'm then allowed to use my Scheme of Work (I wrote the ones that I'm teaching from) alongside my power point slides, in place of a "proper" lesson plan - but then, I'd say that for me, there's more detail in the SoW and resources than there ever would be on a lesson plan!

9. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I have been a teacher for over 12 years and write lesson plans still for every lesson I teach - not because it is school policy but for two main reasons 1) Personal - so I know exactly what I am doing and then can review lesson easily afterwards 2) Professional - so when I have PGCE and NQT's I am leading by example, I certainly would not expect anyone to do something that I am not doing!

10. I agree. I did a GTP year in which lesson plans were paramount and eventually covered five pages to be acceptable though few of the permanent staff bothered and when they did it was obviously a old plan from previous years.
    My NQT school HOD told me to relax, ensure I have a formal plan for observations and a 'permanent plan' for all classes with all the admin & SEN detail I need then he gave me the scheme for the term and access to all the plans I need from him and my predecessor though I don't really like the older stuff.
    I do prefer to have my own plans for every lesson but when time is tight it is lovely to be able to follow the course without stress.

11. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Personally I think it is hypocritical to do this - which is why I obviously do it! I certainly would not expect 5 pages though - one side of A4 is more than ample! You cannot possibly glance quickly at your LP during lesson if it is too detailed or more than one page!

12. TheTinyTeacher

TheTinyTeacher New commenter

I've never been in a school where teachers don't do a lesson plan for every subject. Maybe it is an area dependant thing?