1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson planning at Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by trickytrini, Jun 10, 2019.

1. trickytrini

trickytrini New commenter

Dear all

To those that have done the PGCE or are seasoned Primary teachers, can you tell me how difficult it to plan classroom lessons?
    I have been on various forums, with people saying how difficult it is to plan lessons such as up till 3am each morning, skipping lunch & dinner, avoiding haircuts, wearing non-ironable clothes etc to plan lessons.
    With the many websites out there, isn't it a case of subscribing and just printing out worksheets, or have I missed something?
    Ta

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No.

bevdex, Wotton, sooooexcited and 4 others like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes.

bevdex, Wotton, sooooexcited and 4 others like this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I love @Pomza's succinct answers!
    There is a lot more to planning lessons than printing out worksheets and thank goodness for that because I know I would die of boredom. Some lessons need more practical resources anyway and the younger the children, the more this is the case.
    You also have to think about how to cater for all the different needs of the pupils in your class. For example, a child may need extra support, specific resources because they are struggling or they could be finding their learning easy and need challenging .
    Planning is relatively quick for me if I'm in the same year group as the previous year and on checking the lesson plan and resources I think they'll work with my current class. However, I've been teaching for more than 20 years and across the whole primary age range. It's very time consuming when it's new.

Pomza and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. alexdoughty

alexdoughty New commenter

I can only assume you haven't done any teacher training/have no experience of anything at all in a school? I'm interested as to why you are asking this? Are you a disgruntled parent?

I don't mean this to.sound at all aggressive, I am genuinely interested.

Juliet6079 and DexterDexter like this.
  6. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I think it also depends on planning expectations from SLT - some schools still place huge value on archaically-detailed, colour-coded, buzzword-loaded planning documents, leaving very little time for teachers to actually RESOURCE the lesson appropriately. Choose your next school with care - (t)here be dragons!

Planning CAN simply be a quick scribble on a post-it note. It can also be three hours making just the right resource to stretch a small group of top-end pupils. Most people go for somewhere in between, depending on the day, the subject, the children, prior teaching experience, previous lessons, school expectations... and a million other things. Answers to questions like Are Ofsted coming? Is there a chance of a learning walk? may also play a part, I’m told...

Personally, I always try to ensure I don’t spend longer planning a lesson than the lesson itself will last - and when I say planning, I mean ‘resourcing’: a really good flip chart and a few great worksheets can be a week or more of lessons for a core subject, and can in all likelihood be used again next year...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. trickytrini

No, I'm about to start a PGCE course and haven't work in schools before and just lurking on teaching forums!

8. trickytrini

Thanks for all the helpful replies...interesting that some people take minutes and others hours planning their lessons

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Those that take minutes, usually have years of experience when they have spent hours preparing. It gets quicker the more experience you have and the more resources you've had access to over the years and can adapt.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are you perhaps thinking of 'the 5 minute lesson plan' ? If so believe me it does take more than 5 minutes just to fill in the info., apart from all the thinking behind the plan, which goes on before getting to that point.

sooooexcited likes this.
  11. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Like others have said, it really depends on the lesson, subject, needs of the class, how long you've been teaching etc.
    I'm an NQT and I have found that my planning time has lessened over the year as I get more used to what my class need and what works.
    Sometimes I spend longer planning a lesson (particularly Maths!) that it actually takes to teach it. However, sometimes I can use a template from TES or borrow an idea and adapt it pretty quickly.
    Just don't go into your training year expecting to just print off some worksheets and be done with it - it will take a lot more effort than that!

DexterDexter and Lara mfl 05 like this.