1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson-Planner Needed . . . .

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 25, 2017.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm a retired teacher - yes - but in my retirement and encouraged greatly by children I met in my local primary school and whom I visited weekly, I've been led into a completely new career. I'll tell you what it is: The children I met (5 and 6 year olds) were SO very disappointed one day and told me it was because of "poetry" and the poem they'd just had in English was shown to me. It did nothing at all to enthral them with children's poetry and I remembered the wonderful classic poets who captured my imagination heart and soul with their wonderful rhyming poems, written with words that danced across the page with perfect metre, and the imagery they used which brought their words to life. And so I, who had never been to creative writing classes, offered to write a poem for them. They were more than delighted and each week, each year and with each new class I was asked to write more and more. I had 344 of my 400 poems chosen by teachers for publication in 2010. You can't buy them now because the publisher retired and sold his business to people who don't publish children's poetry. But my poems are all on five huge internet websites and they go into 188 countries of the world. I know that teachers would love to have these poems incorporated into lesson plans and I'd love to work with an experienced lesson-planner who will use them. You can see the poems are popular on this website too. Please do contact me if you'd like to work with me on this project. Thanks a million.

2. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

You own the rights to publish your poems, don't you? You didn't sign that right over to the book publisher, did you? If you are free to publish your works, why one earth haven't you done so yourself? In this day and age, it's free and it's easy and your book or books could be on every Amazon site making money directly and open to, potentially, thousands of 3rd party sellers worldwide. And that's before we even start talking about digital sales channels...

mathsmutt and bajan like this.
  3. nick_redshaw

nick_redshaw Occasional commenter

Hi Josie - Bethan and I echo vuvuzela comments about self publishing, we have published 68+ A level Psychology books since 2004 - see my Amazon author page for new specification books https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B01MSAPJAN . If we can be of any help we'd be happy to help. Nick and Bethan

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  4. JosieWhitehead

Thank you. I will get in touch with you. It is an idea. The world of education and homes have had my poems freely over many years and the children know them well and like them as I'm being constantly told. I've written so many poems and it has been wonderful that I've been able to make them freely available to teachers and their children (and parents too) because I know they've reached places where people have not been able to buy books. They go, from my main website, into 188 countries of the world, so Google Analytics tell me and I'm often invited to make skype visits to meet the children who, in their classrooms, are enjoying the poems. They like to meet me also and especially, those in many different countries, like to see beautiful Yorkshire from my window, as I turn my camera outwards,ha ha

5. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

You can set your royalty levels so customers only pay for production costs if you don't want to make any money from them. There are so many opportunities out there to publish, it's crazy!

6. magz2978

magz2978 New commenter

Hi Josie

Are you still looking for a lesson planner?

7. JosieWhitehead

Yes, I'd like someone to work with me as I've written so many wonderful poems that are popular with teachers worldwide. I think TES would like people whose work goes together well to make wonderful lessons for teachers and their children. If you Google JOSIE'S POEMS you'll see all my work and my email is on my welcome page. Get in touch, please.