1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson planner help please

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi I have this question on my lesson planner that I always find difficult to answer: Why are you doing this lesson and what impact do you hope your session will have on the learning and development of your students?

My lesson will be based on writing articles for a news paper and the example that are given in the class are to do with current issues in society.but I am still struggling to answer the above question. Can someone please give me some hints.

Thanks

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What knowledge will they have that they didn't before?
    What skill will they have learned or practised?

So for the example above, you're looking at literacy skills. You want the pupils to apply reading strategies to research a current issue, you might want to extend that into giving credit for the sources of their information. You're also looking to teach the conventions of newspaper writing so pupils should be able to identify - and then use - features like headlines, subheadings, topic sentences, emotive language... Overall you want the pupils to be able to synthesise information and communicate information and ideas clearly and accurately.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Ultimately you need to move away from thinking about individual lessons, towards thinking about lessons that exist as part of a series - that's what this type of question is trying to encourage you to do.

What skills do your students need, based on what course or qualification they are doing? What skills do they currently have? What skills do they need to improve on? - this is what you need to think about.

So, a possible answer would be that you are carrying out a lesson on writing newspaper articles because the students will need to be able to do this in order to gain the qualification you are teaching them. Does it build on a reading or writing skill they were developing in the previous lesson?

4. Teacher-in-Training42

Thanks, that's really helpful. There's another thing that's confusing me..British values...would it make sense for me to say that I am promoting them by discussing different types of issues in society and asking the students to give their opinions on the articles they have read?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I would say that depends on the discussion and type of articles but I don't know the English curriculum so I don't know what's expected for British Values.

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

@Teacher-in-Training42

British values: http://www.citizenshipfoundation.org.uk/main/page.php?465

Regardless of the content of the article, if you construct your discussion around it in such a way as to ensure that people don't interrupt each other, they listen to each other even if they disagree, and so on, you are upholding 'British values'.

Of course if the article's content informs them about something to do with law or democracy, this would also be upholding British values because you're teaching them information about our way of life - even if they criticise a law or decision made in a court.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  7. Teacher-in-Training42

Thanks that's so helpful Xxx