1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson plan template - needed asap PLEASEEEE!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sheila786, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hi..

I have an interview for a reception class and have to teach a 20 minute Literacy lesson. Was wondering if anyone has got a good lesson plan template I could use???

I would be veryyyy grateful!!!

Please please please!!

Thank you in advance :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just use one similar to those you've used on placement. You'd not be expected to know the one teachers use within the school and the interview panel will be used to seeing lots of different formats. (May even change their own after looking at some others!)

3. Thanks for finding the tread, at least I haven't gone completely crazy... yet! I usually do add them to my hot list but my laptop had died on me. :-(

I don't have any lesson plans, I'm not a qualified teacher (will be doing my PGCE next year). I have just been working as a cover teacher since finishing university. Hence I would be extremely grateful if anyone could send me a blank template that they use or have used?

Thank you in advance :)

4. Lara mfl 05

Don't intend to be mean, but if you're 'an unqualified teacher doing cover' at the expense of the hundreds of qualified teachers who can't get supply work or jobs because they cost more, it would be unprofessional of me to do more than say look at what you need to put in place for your lesson plan & put it in a format which you're happy with.
    I'd also read some of the many threads on Unemployed, Supply and Jobseekers forum and consider whether this is the best time to be considering doing a PGCE or else you may be joining us 'unemployed teachers' of which there are many.

5. I understand the frustration for unemployed teachers, but its a dog eat dog world out there and I guess I must be doing something right to be getting work? regardless of whether they have to pay me less or not. (which actually is not a huge difference from qualified rate)

No harm in asking for help along the way.. even if it is a 'blank' template..

Thank you for taking time to read my thread :)

6. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

As a current Primary trainee and an ex-secondary cover supervisor I'd like to question the point about the cost of CS not being a 'huge difference from the qualifed rate'. I was incredibly happy in my job, and I think I did a darn good job, and was told that I was often, but at the end of the day I knew the only reason I had the job was because I was saving the school £6+ per hour, which when you take my average cover hours over the year I was at least £4k cheaper, and with 3 of us in the school that's a saving of at least £12k per year!
    If you aren't much cheaper than a qualified teacher then I would say they are foolish not to have a qualified teacher providing the cover, which would be 'better value for money' for the children's overall progress in their education.

7. I guess it depends on what school you are working in and where it is. I currently am earning just under 2k less than the NQTs at my school. When I went for the role as cover teacher it was advertised for qualified teachers so I guess I was very lucky to get it..

8. Lara mfl 05

Which is possibly exactly why you got it.
    In my case & many other's cases, with experience, the difference could be as much as £9-10 a year - enough to get an extra TA!

9. Lara mfl 05

Did try editing but too late. Before you say "Why don't you offer to work for less?". Believe me many of us have wondered if this would be possible and been firmly told No! Hence many of us are going for TA / HLTA / CS posts, which strangely we <u>are </u>allowed to be paid less for though we bring the same skills.
    So be warned if you try for PGCE you may end up back being a TA or similar, after giving up employment and possibly going into debt to complete your course.

10. Hmmm I'm not complaining I got the high end of the salary in the job description but I guess we all have different types of experiences behind us. Nevertheless I'm handing in my notice as I'm moving so I'm sure a very happy individual will be filling the position. Also, I have noticed that there are a lot of high paid TA's now, a friend of mine has finished uni and is working as a TA receiving QT scale 1 pay which is not too bad for a TA. That is in London I'm not sure about the rest of the country :)

11. Luckily the bursary is back next year for primary PGCE so hopefully won't be in too much debt. Also, London has a shortage of primary schools with plans to open a fair few more. So things aren't looking too bad just yet.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cover teacher? Ae they not known as cover supervisors down your way? And haven't you seen a good many lesson plans in your time?

13. The position I'm in is a cover teacher, I cover all PPA time across FS2 and KS1 where I plan and teach science in this time. (Only been working as a cover teacher for a year after completing my degrees) I have worked as a cover supervisor before for a little while but all I had to do then was pick up the plan left behind from the class teacher and do nothing more other then follow it?

I needed help with a literacy layout as I've not had the pleasure of teaching literacy other than phonics :) But amidst the frustration many have experienced at my career status a kind lady has helped me with a template. :-D

14. Lara mfl 05

Sorry we're so unsympathetic, but there's many of us here who've been trying for<u> several years</u> to get any sort of job; NQTs needing to complete induction & older, more experienced people like myself who find themselves priced out of the market, so it touches a 'raw nerve' somewhat. Especially where there are people who may lose their homes thro' lack of work, people who have little or no income (somebody was quoting &pound;11 a week on JSA) Competition is fierce ( so helping you, their competition would not be in their interest) & as you so rightly say it's a dog eat dog world out there!

15. I don't mean to be rude, but I have not asked for anyone to show me sympathy, and I'm not the type to feel sorry for myself either. Also, it might comes as a shock but its not only teachers that have bills to pay, mortgages, family etc. And if some teachers are finding it hard to find 'any sort of job' then in my opinion they must be going wrong somewhere along the line??

Sorry but just because an individual may be a 'qualified' teacher does not in any way mean they are straight away entitled to a position. Paper does not mean anything when compared to experience and what you can actually do in the classroom. Therefore the idea that I could cost someone their living is absurd! I think of my own family first thank you very much :D

All I did was request a blank plan, when there are teachers asking for full on lesson plans with no ideas of their own? Now surely they would be competition too? But I assumed the purpose of these forums was to share ideas and resources :S silly me.

Anyway this could drag forever, but advice to others who may read this. If you simply don't want to help anyone you shouldn't reply to their threads, just an idea?? clearly in schools we teach our children respect and the importance of 'caring' to become good human beings. Interesting.

My moto in life, be positive, help others, and when the world pushes you down you just get back up and try again .. and never feel sorry for yourself.. good luck to everyone that is still looking for work. (that was a genuine good luck!! I'm not the type to be envious of others) :)

16. Lara mfl 05

Point taken. (I was genuinely trying to help you realise why there was so little response.)
    I wish you well with your PGCE.

17. Hi. Hope you've managed to get a copy of a literacy plan.
    Just out of interest... Where are you applying for a teaching role where you are not required to have a teaching qualification?