1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson plan ideas Pachelbel Canon Year 7 PLTS Questioning

Discussion in 'Music' started by khjl, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hello, I have a music observation next week, the topic is Pachelbel's Canon performance related. I am aiming for students to understand how canon is used as a composition technique and will contrast to other music in different styles. Yet to plan specifics. I need to include AFL, I have key words to use for a literacy link. If any one is happy to share any good ideas I would be keen to hear them. I have a sheet with about 8 parts for layering so can provide differentiated work but need to add something new. I have taught this topic for about 12 years! Looking for new ideas and inspiration.
    Thank you khjl

2. Hello, I have a music observation next week, the topic is Pachelbel's Canon performance related. I am aiming for students to understand how canon is used as a composition technique and will contrast to other music in different styles. Yet to plan specifics. I need to include AFL, I have key words to use for a literacy link. If any one is happy to share any good ideas I would be keen to hear them. I have a sheet with about 8 parts for layering so can provide differentiated work but need to add something new. I have taught this topic for about 12 years! Looking for new ideas and inspiration.
    Thank you khjl

3. Pachelbel's Cannon is not, strictly, a cannon so I'm not sure how you would teach the use of Cannon through it. I would have thought it was more an example of ground bass. It is also a good way to teach the use of the continuo and some students can grasp the use of figured bass.
    Secondly, there are quite a few pop songs that use the ground/ chord sequence such as "see you when I get there" (?title) and that Oasis song (??). They are fun. There are loads more!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

CU when U get there - Coolio
    <font size="2">Altogether now - The Farm</font>
    <font size="2">Don't look back in anger - Oasis</font>
    <font size="2">- are one's that I have used when teaching about ground bass.</font>

5. Sorry, I stand corrected and thank you for these ideas. I will enjoy listening to your suggestions.

6. Of course it's a canon, it couldn't really be much closer to text book canon than it already is. The first violin starts, 8 bars later the second violin plays EXACTLY the same thing, 8 bars later the third violin plays EXACTLY the same thing. Totally democratic for all the violinists just pity the poor continuo underneath.

7. It's a cannon at the start but the strict entries you describe do not follow all the way and also there is a great deal of variation so it might equally be described as a chaconne or passacaglia (sp?).
    I think,

8. I am teaching this to year 7 and they are loving it as they are performing it as an ensemble. This lends itself well to the plts teamwork, collaborating to a common goal..... etc... We have 5 per group with all the different layers and over the top of the repeating ground bass, harmonic sequence etc they are singing the N Dubz 'Dance On' they love this and are all happy to sing as it is current etc
    Loads of boys opted to sing/rap and join in for the chorus
    We do it in C as pupils using keyboards only have to use white keys...
    I have produced a booklet let me know if you want a copy.....

No one wanted to do the Coolio 'see you when...' as they have not heard of him and it is old and not current they were not interested all chos NDubz lyrics....

9. Yes please, this would be helpful.
    Thank you for all the ideas. I'm feeling my age! Good to have some new ideas.

10. Thanks for the N Dubz 'Dance On' suggestion too.
    I have now found a guitar version on You Tube. It is by Trace Bundy. I like it because you can identify his fingering of the ground bass.
    Also searched for a string quartet performance. I found it quite hard to find a performance which our students would find inspiring to watch, not just listen to. When I have observed this topic in the past a student commented that the performers didn't look like they were enjoying themselves. We are trying to get students to bring their 'classical' instruments into their class lessons so looking for a 'cool' clip. I have found a clip of Pachelbel's Canon on You Tube by Academy - student string quartet play Pachelbel's Canon.
    I am still searching. I've been inspired.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be able to use them throughout the scheme of work not just in 1 lesson.
    I appreciate your help.

11. Hello, observation over...very good..but ran out of time and rushed the ending. I finished with listening to the NDubz 'Dance On', the students loved it, thank you!

12. Everyone loves Pachelbel's Canon except the cellists, if my daughter was anything to go by. She said she often had dreams that she was playing Pachelbel, and then woke up to find she was. How long have we been round these four bars? Will it never end?

13. In it's original version, it is indeed a strict canon. The violin 2 part is exactly the same as the violin 1 part (except that it lacks the final 2 bars) and the violin 3 part is exactly the same (minus the last 4 bars).
    It has been rearranged so many times over the years that perhaps you are thinking of a different arrangement. However,if you were to get violin 1 to start at bar 3, violin 2 to start at bar 5 and violin 3 to start at bar 7, all at the same time, they would in fact play exactly the same notes throughout (until the end).
    http://cantorion.org/music/474/Canon_in_D_Full_score