1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson plan for recption or ks1 in special school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by reekah, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I need to plan a lesson for reception children in special school for interview; can anyone share ideas please??
    Thanks

2. Teachers I know who have interviewed in recent years have gone for a literacy lesson, use a book that can have lots of props and sensory input (going on a bear hunt is excellent for this) good luck.

3. moonbeam1710

moonbeam1710 New commenter

How long does your lesson have to be? For my interview lesson for my current job EY's SLD we had to take in an object and do a 30 min lesson. I took in a box (covered in bubble paper printed off the internet) with a pot of bubbles inside. After an intro bit - finding out all their names and doing a first then card I asked them what they thought was in the box (there was a mixture of verbal and non verbal children) and I blew some bubbles to each child. Then we went outside and I had loads more pots of bubbles, some big tubes of bubbles etc. Loads of EYFS links PSED interaction with staff and peers 1 blows while another one catches, CLL language for communication interaction with peers etc signing for more , KUW , PSRN counting the bubbles, language bigger/smaller/more/less and PD popping the bubbles with whole hand or 1 finger. From my experience, all children LOVE bubbles!
    Hope that helps a little!

4. thanks for response, but i have some sour memory about story book, in my last interview i used ginger bread man, made props , introduced the lesson and story well but failed as observer said i did not introduce the LO.....don't want to attempt story right now...

5. Bubbles idea sounds promising for engaging children, thanks a lot, my lesson duration should be 20 minutes,

6. <font size="3">Good luck. I have an interview next week also... post and
    let us know how it goes no pressure. fingers crossed and I hope you get it.
    Break a leg.</font>

<font size="3">Oh and Primary resources web page is good.</font>

7. Thanks , I do need good wishes, my interview is tommarrow, can't have peace until its all done (hopefully for good) and good luck to you too for next week......why is it called 'interview' if they just said'come for a chat about you and the role' it would sound more encouraging and natural.......

8. hi everyone,
    had my interview today along with lesson, don't know how was it until I get the result, an sitting by the phone and preparing myself for good/not good news...anyway the questions asked were as follows for others seeking job for refrence:
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Why this job?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What experience you have with asd?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What will you bring into wider school context?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What skills and experience you have about assessment?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What experience and knowledge about eyfs in planning?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What sort of behaviour problems can you face with children having asd?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">What would you do if a child shows problems like this?(refusing to do what is told, not following instructions, hitting or spitting)</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">How would you achieve targets of improving attainment of children?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">How will you make classroom environment stimulating for asd children?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">How would you cater for free flow system for children with asd?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">How do you think was your lesson , what did they achieve/learn through your lesson?</font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;color:windowtext;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">If knowing a child is imp for planning; how did you plan today&rsquo;s lesson without knowing children here? </font>[/LIST]waiting eagerly for their call, whatever the news, can't handle this anxiety.....wish me luck pls.<font size="3"></font>

9. <font face="Calibri">I&rsquo;m really sorry to hear that! it may not make you feel
    better but honestly the job market is very tough. I have applied for countless
    jobs and only 5 interviews...if you knew how many i applied for you would see
    why that is not a lot.</font>
    You are obviously doing something right to get shortlisted
    it is not uncommon to have 50 plus applications for one job or 100 plus in
    todays market</font>
    Also Don&rsquo;t take it too personally my next door neighbour is
    an assistant headteacher and says that when it is time to choose the right
    person it is not always who was the best candidate in the traditional
    sense...they once did not hire someone because they were &lsquo;too nice&rsquo; and staff
    would be difficult to handle for this person in my opinion that is a reflection
    on staff already at the school not the applicant.</font>

J

10. Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed for next time.

11. Thanks a lot for your kind words, ...my problem is that I start imagining myself in the place whenever I go for an interview......and when opposit thing happens it breaks my heart.....am feeling sick...not feeling lke to look at jobsite and all......
    ................your feedback is soothing though...thanks again...

12. thanks for your kind words....my problem is that I start imagining myself at the place wherever i go for interview...but when opposit thing happens...i feel so embarrased inside....am feeling sick today....don't feel like looking at jobsites....
    ....this system is not fair .....why so much mental struggle for being able to do what we r capable of doing...? .....practice of doing applications and interviews.....can it be added in our skill list?
    thanks to you again.....it helped me take some anguish out