1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Outcomes.. An OFSTED box ticking exercise or an implement to develop independent learning?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Captain Obvious, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I saw someone once say that they would keep the LO secret until the end of the lesson and then ask the students at the end what they thought it was, so it's doable. I think as long as the lesson structure is sensible, kids are going to learn.

2. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

I've done away with explicit LOs as to be honest I find them really patronising to the students and in my mind are just another way of trying to overquantify education ("Have you met your learning objectives? Tick, you're on your way to gaining a sublevel of progress.."). I'm pretty sure it has made absoulutely no difference to the amount or quality of learning going on.

Can't say I'm entirely convinced that not giving them LOs will " give the opportunity for full absorption in their work and will enhance their thinking, questioning and distilling skills", but definitley give it a go!