1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson on the eye

Discussion in 'Science' started by dancemad, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Anyone got any good ideas on how to teach the eye and pupil reflexes? Thanks

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You need a good model, perhaps an outline diagram they can colour in and label (you could leave out parts for them to add). A decent diagram you can project.

As for practical you can do things like in pairs one perso observs the pupils of the other while they are shaded and unshaded to see how the pupil contracts and dilates.

Silly things like the flying sausage to show 3D vision from two eyes.

Sitting a subject down looking straight ahead them bring objects or people in from behind and the side to measure their field of vision.

On a piece of blank a4 in landscape place a cross on one side and then a series of dots at 2cm intervals across the page. The subject closes on eye and stares at the cross, how many dots can they see before there is one missing (showing the blind spot where the optic nerve leaves the retina).

Borrow some big convex lenses from the Physics dept to show how the image in projected and inverted on the retina.

3. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

An eye dissection always goes down well. We use Pig eyes from the butchers.
    I do this with Yr8 - demo first, then in pairs they can try to cut open the eye, remove the lense and look inside the retina wall. Kids love it - really gross, but they are engaged and motivated.
    Before you do it, maybe consider a corner of the room for students who don't want to do it, and get them to sit with a TA to do some text book work.
    Have fun![​IMG]

4. sadscientist

sadscientist Occasional commenter

Start every lesson with a blank diagram to label until they can all do it.
    There's a really good demo eye dissection in the old Channel 4 series "Science Bank" if you can get hold of it. Also a BBC "Short Circuit" programme which shows a cataract op, plus iris reflex and accommodation.
    Have given up dissections personally. Also, if you do (depending on your school) there can be religious issues with pig's eyes with Jewish or Moslem pupils so beware. Get lamb' eyes instead if possible.
    (not that you can actually see the difference!)

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No pun intended?

I'm not a biolist so I would not opt to do a dissection. I would also assume from the OP that he/she is either a student or NQT and may not be confident enough to do something a radical as a dissection.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also should add that dissections are vastly overrated as an exercise in seeing what's happening in a body. Having done many at school and in my early employment it is usually too difficult to see past the gunk to what you want to see.

7. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

The only reason I do a dissection is to engage students in the subject. Apart from that, I have to agree with you blazer.