1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observations

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by justsayno, Jan 30, 2012.

1. bit of a moan :eek:(
    Just had a written copy of my lesson observation from 7th December (yes, it has taken that long) and to say it is a depressing read is an understatement.
    The focus was apparently behaviour/assessment which I wasn't told before hand. The majority of it is what I am doing wrong etc but some is confusing too. Am not really getting on with the mentor either (as in we don't gel).
    One comment is how I demonstrate my high expections throughout the lesson, however, I need to have clearer guidelines as to what it is I expect. Confused much.
    Also told that the class discussions were great, as is subject knowledge, then that I need to give more timely feedback?
    LO's were detailed on the board at all times, and referred to, but on the observation, it said they were never discussed and that the plenary had no reference to this, yet linked into the lesson.
    Sorry to moan again, just a bit demotivated as my first lesson observation with a member of SLT was outstanding, and the format etc was pretty much the same (similar group etc)
    Have an nqt meeting tomorrow, but not sure if I should bring it up or not.

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I am a TA rather than a teacher, so am limited in the advice I can give you, but it doesn't seem right to me that it takes so long to give you your feedback - because it makes it very hard to remember the details of the lesson in order to address the negative comments. Could you ask for clarification on the conflicting elements? Could you ask for specific feedback on what you did differently to the first observation? It seems incredible that your observation could be so bad after getting outstanding first time round (and congratulations on that by the way - fabulous achievement). As I say, I am not a teacher, but I have seen on other posts that sometimes NQTs are advised to contact the LEA NQT coordinator - could they help advise about not getting on with your mentor? I wish you the best of luck - and hope you keep reminding yourself that you are capable of outstanding.

3. Is the meeting with the person who observed the lesson? If so, then yes, definitely bring it up. Discuss the feedback in more detail, contextualise the little "soundbites" and then come up with a plan to move forward.