1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observations

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by estudent, Jan 7, 2012.

1. HI everyone

I just wanted to get a bit of information from different settings and different opinions about observations.
    Over the last year, we seem to be having a lot more lessons observed than previously and I've been at the school for 6 years. I'm not complaining about being observed or denying their role and do value feed back from observations but I was speaking with some colleagues on Friday and there seems to be a consensus that one a term would be better.
    So really wanted to find out what happens at other schools and how other's feel about observations.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Previously we had one Literacy and one numeracy every short term ( ie every six weeks) so 12 a year. A new Head has cut it down to 6 a year ( Primary )

3. Thanks. 12 sounds like a lot!

Should add, I'm primary.

4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

You should only really be getting 3 hours of performance observations a year.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Aren't NQTs only required to have 6 observations per year?! If so, 12 for an experienced teacher sounds like a LOT.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whilst there are limits (no more than 3 hours) for performance management observations, there is no limit to how many the head can arrange to be carried out for monitoring purposes.

7. As ofsted has gone back to a process where far more lessons are to be observed during an inspection then it follows that schools need to be totally sure of the standards of teaching throughout the school and across the curriculum. Those schools who are unsure will need to step up monitoring of teaching and learning as well as work scrutiny etc.
    As Middlemarch says, there is no limit on the number of observations allowed, contrary to the stated view of at least 1 teacher union.