1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observations?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LittleMissCurious, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I'm on an informal
    support programme at work, which as fasr as I am aware, only the HT & I know about, but I don't feel like the programme is very
    supportive at the moment. I've done all the things that have been asked
    of me; I asked for a review meeting and was told it would happen after
    half term, but that date has now been cancelled with no sign of a new
    one.
    I had my observation last week and was observed by the HT &
    assistant head together. I've still not had my feedback. Paranoia has
    now set in. They were in the HT's office for a good hour or more after
    school the day of my ob, and I have convinced myself they were talking
    about me, and that the content wasn't good. I've now found out that the
    AHT was observing as part of her own CPD, and that she will be sitting
    in on my observation feedback session. I'm very close to asking for her
    not to be there, as surely my observation data should be confidential
    between me & my observer? Can I request the AHT is not present?

2. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Hopefully you have already contacted your union on this, so i suggest you call them and update them and ask them for further advice
    Make sure that you are documenting everything through e-mail to your head and keeping a safe copy of the e-mialyourself. Eg, how your review meeting was cancelled and when is it to be re-scheduled for? Confirming what the targets were that they set you if they have not offically recorded them etc.
    If you were observed by the HT and AHT then i see no problem in the AHT being present in the feedback also.
    Try to not be paranoid (yes i know that's tricky!), take what they say and do the next steps they give you and ensure you have evidence that you have done these steps.

3. Thanks foryour advice, ballerina. The AHT did not observe the full lesson,and has already given me informal feedback on the part of the lesson she visited. I was told she was visiting to monitor her subject, but have since found out that this joint observation was part of her CPD.

4. I don't see a problem with the AHT using your observation as CPD. All observations are CPD - I've learnt more about teaching from the observations I've done than anything else. Our LEA advise paired observations as the discussion following this is invaluable for all involved. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that you haven't had any feedback. I always make sure I feed back on the same day I observe and think this is just normal and good practice. To observe you and say nothing is eerie. Have you actually asked for feedback?
    As an aside, I regularly get observed by teachers for whom I model something they want to develop in their own teaching and I reckon only half of those bother to say thank you or give me any feedback. I find this incredibly rude and it makes me paranoid that I've done something 'wrong' or they feel they've wasted their time. So it works both ways.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't forget some of the discussion afterwards will have been about the AH's CPD. Yes they may have been discussing the lesson, but possibly in the context of the judgements the AH had made and how valuable or not they were. Not actually discussing you as such. I do the same sometimes with my HT...it really won't have taken them that long to discuss you.

However you now need to be proactive in getting the feedback from your HT. Yes they should have given it as a priority, but as they haven't you need to get it sorted out.

Other than you feeling a bit down, is there any reason your AH shouldn't be there? They saw the lesson and so know what will be given as feedback. Will it be so bad if they are with the HT for the more formal feedback?

6. I have been told I'll get feedback in the early part of this week.... That will be nearly a week after my observation. I have to draft my own version of the impact of the lesson first, but have been given no pre-forma for this despite asking the day after my observation.....
    I don't want the AHT to take part in the feedback as this observation is part of my performance management and our school policy states that PM information is confidential between the reviewer and reviewee...
    I'm also ashamed and embarassed by the fact that I'm on this bl00dy informal support plan (even my OH doesn't know about it!) and really don't want anyone else to know about it....

7. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Don't be ashamed or embarrassed you have nothing to be either. Contact your union. What is the world coming to when teachers are treated so badly. Support plans, competency and observations are all very subjective.

8. Thank you, MissGollumeyes. Had my meeting today, although I didn't find out my overall grade. HT actually said very little about what she thought of my lesson..... here's hoping that's a good thing!