1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observations- What am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I have hoping to do a PGCE in secondary Biology and am currently observing some
    science lessons but im a little comfused as to what im spost to be looking for or taking notes on. What has everyone else done in their observations?

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

I have hoping to do a PGCE in secondary Biology and am currently observing some
    science lessons but im a little comfused as to what im spost to be looking for or taking notes on. What has everyone else done in their observations?

3. Different teaching methods/styles, different types of learners, type of work set - practical and written, the delivery of the lesson, lesson objectives, behaviour management techniques, how problems/challenges are resolved, how does lessons and the way it is presented change with different year groups, what you found particularly interesting or worked well... There is so many things to think about and reflect on, I'm surprised that you so are confused to be honest.

4. Cosmic_Rainbow

5. Perhaps you should observe your own English writing skills before attempting to teach children and young people.

"I have hoping..." should be "I am hoping..."

"what im spost to...." should be "what I'm supposed to...."

Good lcuk though!

6. Good point but you have made an error yourself. 'luck'

7. I'm pretty certain the miss spelling of luck was intentional!

8. getting back to the original topic...as has already been stated...good and bad practice in the session, how it was delivered, what effect it had on the students, did the teacher use a variety of methods or just one, how did the teacher assess that the students were following him, how did they deal with questions, would you have done it differently and if so why and how. You can actually learn quite a lot from watching others, good and bad.

9. Feeling tired - that's what it does to you. Zaps all sense of humour away. Ah well.