1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observations by Governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ClerktoGovernors, Feb 4, 2012.

1. What thoughts do you have on governors undertaking formal lesson observations, and using Ofsted criteria to make judgements about the quality of teaching?

(Stands back to wait for flack ...)

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think they shouldn't be doing it - both morally and technically.

3. pourquoi

pourquoi New commenter

I think they are misguided and either haven't attended LA training or have chosen to disregard it. Surely the HT is not supporting this?

4. R13

R13 New commenter

There's no debate here is there - everyone knows this is inappropriate, of no value but potentialy very harmful to relations within school

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I'm mostly curious why you ask the question. I've never heard anybody suggest this might be a good idea but there's guidance from just about everywhere saying this isn't part of governors role and they shouldn't do it. The only possibility I can think of is that you know a governing body which for some obscure reason is trying to provoke the staff into industrial action!
    Reasons why not? Where to start.....
    For starters inspecting QoT is inspecting teachers performance and under PM Regulations that can only be done by someone with QTS. It would also be incompatible with the resepective responsibilities of GB and HT set out in the Terms of Reference Regulations. The head is lead professional accountable to the GB for QoT in the school.
    Governors are not competent to make such judgements, and they wouldn't become competent just be giving them the OFSTED criteria and a checklist to tick. They'd be even less able to give feedback on how the lesson could be improved. If teaching was that easy we wouldn't need to train teachers at all, just give someone a copy of the programmes of study and shove them in front of a class!
    An untrained governor's opinion of a lesson grading under OFSTED criteria would carry no weight with with the teachers so it wouldn't have the desired effect of improving QoT.
    And why would any governor want to spend time doing that? Is their school and its governance already so incomparably outstanding that they've nothing else left for the GB to do?

6. You don't think the wording of the new Ofsted framework suggests a change to previous expectations of governors, them? (I know I'm being provocative ...)
    Para 6: "Inspections will continue to engage headteachers, school staff and governors in the process of inspection so that they understand better the basis for the judgements that are made."
    (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/framework-for-school-inspection-january-2012 )

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Sorry CtG, I can't see how this relates to your original question. It's about how Ofsted beter communicates how it arrives at its judgememnts. In the separate Conduct of Inspections guidance it does say that the head or SLT member may be invited to do joint lesson obs with the inspector, but not that governors should!
    "....the lead inspector is encouraged to invite the headteacher or a nominated senior member of staff to:

? participate in one or more joint observations of lessons and/or scrutiny of pupils' work.
    "

8. Thanks to all, and particularly RW, for confirming my understanding of how things are - just checking there hadn't been some sea change in the role of the GB!
    (I reckoned that if something new HAD been introduced, the forumites would know about it ..... covering all bases)