1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Mar 11, 2012.

1. i am going to be observed for an interview this week in the Y3 class
    ( i currently teach nursery, but applying for a different post)
    difficult class, class have recently been focusing on the oral story little red riding hood.
    I was hoping that anyone would comment on my lesson idea.
    Its a full hour literacy lesson
    my thoughts for my lesson are still a speech and dialogue focus, with changing the setting of LRRH to a city.

beginning with recapping on the oral story, then in Kagan teams
    discussing what LRRH would see, hear and smell in the city (not sure
    whether to go back to desks for this, then come back to the carpet for
    shared writing?)

Then look at original opening for LRRH, looking at how we can change
    this to being in a city. Making sure that speech and dialogue are
    included. Shared writing.

Then to desks working in ability groups to write their own opening to LRRH in a city.

LA group to be supported by TA, focus being on full sentences and speech words. (poss using talking postcards)

i will work with a MA group, working on correct punctuation for speech.

HA groups to write their own opening and if they finish, story map LRRH in a city.

Plenary - back on carpet, sharing their sentences, speaking with expression for sentences with speech.

let me know what you think

Miss H

2. i am going to be observed for an interview this week in the Y3 class
    ( i currently teach nursery, but applying for a different post)
    difficult class, class have recently been focusing on the oral story little red riding hood.
    I was hoping that anyone would comment on my lesson idea.
    Its a full hour literacy lesson
    my thoughts for my lesson are still a speech and dialogue focus, with changing the setting of LRRH to a city.

beginning with recapping on the oral story, then in Kagan teams
    discussing what LRRH would see, hear and smell in the city (not sure
    whether to go back to desks for this, then come back to the carpet for
    shared writing?)

Then look at original opening for LRRH, looking at how we can change
    this to being in a city. Making sure that speech and dialogue are
    included. Shared writing.

Then to desks working in ability groups to write their own opening to LRRH in a city.

LA group to be supported by TA, focus being on full sentences and speech words. (poss using talking postcards)

i will work with a MA group, working on correct punctuation for speech.

HA groups to write their own opening and if they finish, story map LRRH in a city.

Plenary - back on carpet, sharing their sentences, speaking with expression for sentences with speech.

let me know what you think

Miss H

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The lesson sounds fine, is the LO to do with using dialogue in writing or describing the city? You seem to be doing both...not sure if one will lead to the other, therefore good, or not.

What are talking postcards please? They sound like something I could use, but I've never heard of them.

4. I would focus on either using speech or changing setting for the lesson, not both, especially if they are unfamiliar and a difficult class.
    With changing setting you could
    <ol>[*]recap story, [*]decide to change the setting, [*]talk partners to think of different settings,[*]decide on city, [*]show a video clip of a city scene with pupils scribing on whiteboards all the saw, heard, etc. [*]gather the notes onto flipchart, [*]model opening paragraph using notes[*]send pupils to table to begin paragraph[*]Low Ability - cloze precedure inserting descriptive words into opening paragraph[*]Middle Abilty TA using descriptive language[*]Top Group - Teacher doing guided writing. </ol><ol></ol>

5. My LO is about using dialogue so maybe I should cut out the city part, but what should i do for a starter? Talking postcards are recordable postcard sized things which u press a button on one side tto record and then press a button on the other side to hear (from tts)

6. Talking postcards are great, Minnie.
    http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Range.aspx?search=talking%20postcard
    Youc an get them in different sizes (with different lengths of recording time). The children can orally rehearse their sentence by recording it onto a little card, then play it back.
    I use them for all sorts of things - leaving instructions on a table for a group to follow, orally rehearsing sentences, recording direct speeck in role for children to record as written speech...
    [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maybe skip the change of location entirely and get them to write the dialogue between wolf and LRRH? Or between LRRH and the woodcutter?

Do some drama and speech work first as the starter maybe?

Or get them to role play and then write LRRH telling her best friend about her adventure?

I NEED some talking postcards....thanks for the info!

8. Sounds like everyone is agreeing to cut the city out! Scrap my idea then!
    Starter - you could ask pupils to sit in a circle and retell the story one sentence at a time.
    For the dialogue you could display a scene from the story on the whiteboard and discuss what they are saying to each other? They then write this as speech?

9. thank you, all great ideas