1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation videos

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by binarygirl, May 4, 2012.

1. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Does anyone know if I have the right to refuse to have my lesson videoed so that my line manager can grade my lesson at a later stage rather than being in the room at the time. If it is ok then how can I have control over who watches the video?

2. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Does anyone know if I have the right to refuse to have my lesson videoed so that my line manager can grade my lesson at a later stage rather than being in the room at the time. If it is ok then how can I have control over who watches the video?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ask to see a copy of the agreed school policy on videoing lessons.
    If there isn't one, then say, politely, that you would feel uncomfortable doing this without a policy, so would prefer to wait until they have one.
    Best wishes

4. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

I am really concerned about what will happen to the video as well- it is not the fact that the lesson is recorded. I believe the purpose of it is that the my line manager can sit down with some members of the SLT and grade it seperately to see if the agree. Apparently it doesn' t matter what grade the lesson is actually at. I think I will ask who is going to see it first and if I can have the recording back. I don't like to refuse because they will think that I am being akward again.

5. This is shocking!!!
    Videoing you in the first place is not going too give a true reflection of how you teach and how the children respond - in my experience, show a class a video camera and it seems to tuurn them into madmen!
    In the second place, how on earth can the 'observer' taalk to the children to come to a full understanding of their leaarning journey throughout the lesson???
    They are just being lazy, lazy, lazy. Tell him that you will allow him to have your lesson videoed if he allows you to video him teaching too.
    It''s a real no-no.

6. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Really good point Shaun07. How will they ensure that all pupils make progress if the observer is not even in the room ( ofsted's criteria for judging lessons). I think this will be my reason for refusing to do it- mind you I wasn't asked just told that this was happening.