1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observation Outcome

Discussion in 'Primary' started by padavid10, Jun 14, 2012.

1. padavid10

padavid10 New commenter

To build up a foundation perhaps? Your building isn't getting bigger whilst you dig out and lay the foundations but it's still important to do before you build a skyscraper.
    What qualifies though as 'progress in every lesson'. I think it's actually quite hard to measure and doesn't take in to account the multitude of things that could be learned or deemed 'progress' for an individual.

2. Couldn't agree more padavid. I think one of the reasons that so many chn fail to achieve over time is lack of consolidation. chn need to do lots of practise - espically things like number in maths - before it becomes second nature. This however will not show up as progress - they are simply practising. Does that make it less valid? In my opinion it doesn't. How does a child learn to write fluently? by writing and writing and practising letter formation. Are they making progress during that time - not really in each lesson - is it a good use of their time or is it a waste of time? i would say it is very good use of time and will be invaluable in years to come.
    That is a large part of the problem with expectations to day. In my opinion to say all chn must make good progress every single lesson is a nonsense! There i have said the unsayable

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

To be fair to the OP, there was no mention of no progress; they said that progress was satisfactory.
    Satisfactory progress is deemed 1 NC level over two years. If this the typical rate of progress for the OP's class, as evidenced by data, then I imagine this is what was what influenced the satisfactory grading.
    Remember there are no lesson grading criteria under the new Ofsted framework. Only grading of teaching and learning over time.

4. if the grading is 'over time' how can an observation in itself be deemed to be satisfactory or otherwise?
    How can an observation only be outstanding if progress is outstanding when progress is only measured (as it should be) over time?
    This makes even more of a nonsense than it is already.

5. I was only playing devils advocate

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I like post 5. Time spent on consolidation is necessary for most of us - surely deepening our understanding of something IS progress. But it's very hard to observe in a one-off...

7. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

OFSTED seem to think they know how child should (and do) learn.
    The truth is that they do the lesson, not really understanding anything. They make notes, but don't get them. They answer questions with help from a teacher, but not by themselves.
    Children learn the method first.
    Down the line they revisit their notes, revisit the method, practice it again and then it becomes implemented. They can now practice and then perform.
    Any good teacher with reinforce the method, and give the children an opportunity to revisit their notes (tests).
    Progress in every lesson is daft twaddle - some kids will just not get the work until maybe weeks after it has been taught.