1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation - Numicon or Olympics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lorraine1985, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.
    Just wondering does anyone have any ideas for linking a maths activity to the Olympics? It's for a Reception class. I was thinking of having two or three different activities like javalin (Foam) and then they have to measure and record distances and then have a race where they have to figure out the positions such as 1st, 2nd etc. But if I am doing different topics (measuring and positions) how do I do a strter for this?
    Incse it rains I was thinking of planning a Numicon whoel class activity based arounf taking away maybe. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Please could you advise how you teach using Numicon - I have a basic set in the class, but have never discovered how to use it properly for Maths teaching. The kids tend to fill the baseboard with the shapes (tesselating), but that's about it.

3. You can get pictures for the backboards for shape matching. We often put Numican shapes in the water tray and then see which numbers we have fished out. Or fish out two and add them together. They are good for pressing into play dough too.

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Number bonds. Very visual.