1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation next week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwraft, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I wouldn't do this. Whenever anything like this is done in school it's important not to keep the animals out of their environment for a long time and then they should go back exactly where you get them from., and it's always important to teach the children this. I imagine you'll not be going outside in your interview suit to get them just before you set off or before you go into the school.

Why not visit the school before hand and have a look at their grounds? You could decide if it would be appropriate to go on a minibeast hunt? Or print some colour pictures out and hide them around the classroom/foundation area?

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Could you get them moving like the mini beasts in the book

3. Thanks for the advice and I definitely agree that it would be wrong to bring the insects into school. I would have got them from my garden and put them back after the interview, but I want to give out the right message to the children. I'll have a think to see how I could make the lesson half an hour, because I don't think I have enough yet to fill the time. If anyone else has any more ideas, please share them.

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

How about getting some plastic ones and getting the children to sort them. Or do some close up pencil drawings. Here are some good images http://www.rspca.org.uk/education/utilities/gallery/contents/-/album/Minibeasts
    Or create some fictional minibeasts. These could be made from clay, play dough, etc.

5. I've done a good drama activity with older children where they had to work together in groups of 3 to make a monster. Could you adapt this to making a minibeast? Children have to fit themselves together to be different parts of the minibeast. I don't teach Reception but your post made me think of that activity.
    Possibly you should be looking at the ELG and choosing some relevant points so that learning and progression is clear in your lesson?

6. Take play dough, collage materials and junk. Get them making models or pictures of mini beasts from your story.