1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observation: Instruments of the Orchestra Year 4

Discussion in 'Music' started by khjl, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hello, I am taking over a year 4 class and being observed for the first lesson. I know the class from teaching them some drama.
    Students need to learn about the range of sounds of the instruments of the orchestra and be able to identify them visually. I need to deliver a practical lesson. They have done some listening and written work.
    I was thinking: A card sort on arrival, with a good Mozart orchestral piece in the background.
    Listening to clips of different sounds of individual instruments...to recap.
    Focus on size of instuments e.g have a set of drums and class do a short rhythmic, layered piece. Ask questions on sound and relate to other families of instruments.
    Lead on to a short scat song layered by pitch, students to act out playing an instrument.
    Pleanary: Question /Answer on instruments.
    I need to work on a more exciting plenary. I'm unsure how to deliver this in a practical manner when only a few play instruments. I think if I used keyboards it will take away from the visual aspect required in the scheme of work. Perhaps someone knows a fun song about the orchestra. I've looked at the orchestra song but it sounds too high.
    I would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

2. Hello, I am taking over a year 4 class and being observed for the first lesson. I know the class from teaching them some drama.
    Students need to learn about the range of sounds of the instruments of the orchestra and be able to identify them visually. I need to deliver a practical lesson. They have done some listening and written work.
    I was thinking: A card sort on arrival, with a good Mozart orchestral piece in the background.
    Listening to clips of different sounds of individual instruments...to recap.
    Focus on size of instuments e.g have a set of drums and class do a short rhythmic, layered piece. Ask questions on sound and relate to other families of instruments.
    Lead on to a short scat song layered by pitch, students to act out playing an instrument.
    Pleanary: Question /Answer on instruments.
    I need to work on a more exciting plenary. I'm unsure how to deliver this in a practical manner when only a few play instruments. I think if I used keyboards it will take away from the visual aspect required in the scheme of work. Perhaps someone knows a fun song about the orchestra. I've looked at the orchestra song but it sounds too high.
    I would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Don't know the ability of your group but here are a few suggestions from the Sing Up site:
    Hey Mr Miller - brilliant fast jazzy song. I've done this with year 5 and 6. Splits into 3 parts if you have time.
    http://www.singup.org/songbank/song-bank/song-detail/view/114-hey-mr-miller/
    I once saw an elephant - comic song. I did this with year 2, but on the sing up site it does say up to year 4.
    http://www.singup.org/songbank/song-bank/song-detail/view/169-i-once-saw-an-elephant/
    Make that sound. I've not used this. It's a blues type song and would be quite easy to teach at the end of a session.
    http://www.singup.org/songbank/song-bank/song-detail/view/293-make-that-sound/

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I've used the orchestra song in the past. What key are you doing it in? I did it in C and although it is a little high for me the children coped ok. (year 6) If this is a song you know really well, could you not just lower the key?
    This recording of the parts is in A. It is a man singing so he sings an octave lower than the children would.
    http://www.nwlg.org/resources/pmusic/orchestra_3.htm

5. Thankyou, some excellent ideas. I will use the second. Great help.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Happy to have helped!
    Do you mean you are going to do the elephant song? I have a ppt of the words if you would like to see it. PM me if you do.
    Marlin

7. Hello again. I have had further information, my lesson is 35 to 40 mins. I have had to rethink, a full song may be too long. I was thinking of creating a scat song, with sounds and words representing instruments. Does any one know if there is one published? We could do one as a class then have a short group time.
    Also looking for a clip of Mozart orchestra music students could identify sections of the orchestra.
    Any thoughts would be welcome.
    Thank you.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

9. Also, google Northumberland grid for learning Virtual Orchestra x

10. Thanks for all the help, great ideas. I have finished my lesson plan. Have included some simple conducting and I made up a scat singing arrangement. I am ready...

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hope it goes well - good luck!

12. Good luck too
    You might want to use Britten's "Young person's guide to the orchestra" as a piece of music. I am currently covering it with year 7
    Get them interested at an early age, brilliant!

13. The lesson went well, not excellent!
    Too much in it and I felt I was rushing...a learning curve.
    Thanks again for great ideas.
    khjl

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Sounds as if it was pretty good though - well done! [​IMG]
    Thanks for reporting back - it's always nice to hear how things went.