1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation, ideas/suggestions needed please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by chals, May 18, 2011.

1. Thanks Lara & Noemie, some good suggestions there.

2. angiekw

angiekw New commenter

I'm currently at the end of my GTP training and one of my previous targets from my external mentor was ro increase both mine and the students use of target language in the classroom. I have to say at the beginning I was completly anti this and thought it was just more hard work for me but it has paid off.
    Something which I did which has a big impact on the students was to produce help sheets which are stuck onto the desks with general phrases that may be used in the classroom. I have since forbidden students asking me for a pen etc in English as they can easily read their sheets and find the phrase. I have differentiated sheets so that the less able students can do this as well. The students have responded well to this and like the support. Another thing which I do is to put the objectives in Spainsh I tend to use cognates for this or if not provide some key vocabluary in order to help them.
    In order to show progression for reading you can use the vocabulary knowledge scales, there is a template on here. I tend to use them at the beginning of the lesson to see what the studnets already knew and then as a plenary they review what they have learnt in this lesson. Nearly every student manages to go up a scale by the end of the lesson thus showing progression.

Hope this helps
    Angie

3. Thanks Angie, this Vocabulary knowledge scales looks useful but as I've never used it, I prefer not to introduce it on this particular lesson (on Friday now, or after hols, HoD not in today), it would feel contrived.
    I intend to introduce some new vocabulary and then go onto pair-work exercices, followed by a Reading type of ex. Differentiation is obviously essential and I will build it into the Reading ex.
    For AfL purposes, how would you make sure the pupils know what levels the exercices are, by just writing the levels of said exercises on the worksheets?
    I really need to demonstrate progression in a clear manner, and that's a concern, any suggestions welcome on this one.

4. mpc

mpc

Students will know what levels activities are by being asked regularly to level their work. A chart in books or on walls helps with this. If you are in the beginning stages of this, don't worry - putting levels on the sheets is a start.
    An activity that works very well for speaking is 'Encore une fois' - 1st suggested to me by lovely TES/Twitter bods.
    Basically:
    (1) (a) Me gusta (b) Detesto (c) Me encanta el queso.
    with another seven or so examples.
    The objective is for students to guess what another student is thinking (each student writes down their responses). Every time you're wrong, you have to go back to the beginning. Students love it if you model the task with them (just to prove we're human too).
    Good luck!

5. Thanks mpc.
    My last question: the plenary. I've thought of the hotseat but maybe a bit gimmicky (have used it before, am not convinced about whole-class participation).
    Any suggestions welcome.