1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ylimehurst, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ylimehurst

ylimehurst New commenter

Hi! I have an interview on Thursday in a British school in Spain with a Reception class

For my lesson observation I have to do 30 minutes on one nursery rhyme (either Incy Wincy or Row Your Boat)

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any tips or ideas, I'm especially worried about making one rhyme last the full 30 minutes!!

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

What do you want them to learn?

3. ylimehurst

ylimehurst New commenter

Thank you for the reply!

They have just said that they've been looking at nursery rhymes this week and for me to choose one of the two rhymes to "look at with them". I think they just want them to learn the rhyme.. which is why I'm struggling on how to make that a 30 minute lesson

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

How many children? Are they EAL?
    Think about which has more physical element so the children aren't sitting for too long.
    Think also about any resources you might use., Maybe considering any rhymes, additional words, content etc.

5. ylimehurst

ylimehurst New commenter

There's 25, mostly Spanish speaking but all know some English. They are all expected to be taught in English too! The physical element is a good idea thank you.. as far as resources I have only just moved here so no printer set up yet unfortunately! Unless I email and go an hour ahead. I know they have a display board etc

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

That kind of thing would be making me ask questions about how they teach but that's a whole other story.
    This is the second time I wrote this as my last comment disappeared!
    But I'd potentially chose row your boat as it has a good and easy amount of physicality. Sing the song a few times. Then add the actions. Then you can get them all up and moving in the shape of a boat. Makes it more interesting. Then get someone up to lead the boat at the front. Can be the quietest kid. You could then use it as a music lesson to teach loud and quiet. Or you could tell the children that the boat won't be able to row if they don't have oars. So the children can all go and use cardboard tubes or something to make oars. Could use rounders bat's or something too if there was enough. Then you can talk about where you are going to go. If you still have time (which I'd be surprised if you did) you could start making maps to go on an adventure.
    Hope this isn't too garbled and useless.

7. ylimehurst

ylimehurst New commenter

That's fantastic help, definitely not useless!! I'm thinking Row Your Boat is looking like the better option with the physicality. My last class was preschool and I know even the older ones wouldn't have been able to sit still for 30 minutes! Thank you for the great ideas

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Perhaps have some pictures to show before teaching the song to ensure all have an accurate idea of what a rowing boat and a stream are.

9. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

How did it go?