1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation grades?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, May 12, 2019.

1. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

How are you grading (or not?) lessons? I am no longer allocation a grade (old OFSTED style) but simply highlighting the effective practice and agreeing next steps for further improvement. This works fine with my teachers and we all know where we are but I am expected to report the quality of teaching to governors. In the absence of the simple table showing numbers of good, outstanding lessons etc how are you reporting the standard of teaching?

Thanks folks

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

We do morning lesson visits in a Key Stage. The discussion is then had with teachers about where the lesson fits into what the children have been doing and where they are taking it next. We discuss which children did well and which ones needed something different and what could be done to support them. It's very much a coaching style approach. At no point is any grading discussed. I then at curriculum governors feedback on the quality of teaching and learning in the school as a whole.

Nowayout likes this.
  3. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Thanks abacus, that makes good sense. I'll pinch your idea and create a statement for govs.

All the best.