1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation for interview-HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissHoney232, May 11, 2011.

1. Next Tues I have a 1 hour slot to teach a EYFS/Year 1 class for a job.

There are 19 reception children and 10 year 1s.

Total blank slate so can teach whatever.

I have a TA and use of IWB.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The form is that you tell us what you're thinking of doing and we offer constructive criticism.
    If all that happens is someone telling you what to do, you're hardly making much effort to get the job for yourself and it doesn't bode well for the school that might employ you, does it?
    So - give us an outline of what you're thinking of doing. Start with what you'd like the children to learn from any activity(ies) you're considering doing.

3. OK,

Well I only just got the letter, so I'm throwing the ideas round at the moment.

Will probably do Literacy or Numeracy.

Literacy ; Potentially Jack and the beanstalk , a bit of role-play with me sat in the centre 'being' Jack, with chidren asking questions, then children can try and be Jack asking/answering questions. Then children draw their own beanstalk with the 'treasure' they may find at the top -discuss this in pairs. It may be money/favourite toy etc. Year 1s can add an adjective to this e.g. (shiny coins).

or

Numeracy : Days of the week activities- sing songs, possibly look at Hungry Caterpillar (however, they may have already done this?), then make a human chain with days of the week. EYFS children can draw what they do on each day e.g. school then swimming with maybe one word, Year 1 children can write a sentence to go along with days of the week.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Right - bear in mind that during the interview it's very common to be asked to discuss what you did, why you did it, what you think went well/not so well, what you'd do differently next time.
    Have clearly in mind what you want the children to learn from your lesson - your Y1 children need a specific LO for any written work you give them, so that you can demonstrate progress.
    They may very well have done the Caterpillar - try to find something rarely done in EYFS.
    Thanks for coming back with your ideas - others with more expertise than me will add comments, I hope.