1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation for an interview!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chloecaswell50, Feb 19, 2020.

1. traineecvc

traineecvc New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently on my final placement at a lovely school within a catholic academy. The academy posted an advert for NQT applicants and I have just been invited for a 30 minute observation next Thursday, at a different school within the academy. The email states I must teach either maths or English to a mixed ability Year 2 class (luckily I have Y2 at the moment!).

I was curious to hear any advice from when you were in the interview process, even down to little things such as not knowing the children’s names (what on Earth do you say?!?)

Thank you in advance,
    A worried trainee!

2. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

In our school we stick labels with the child's name on for such observations. You could ask the school if they do that.

Good luck!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Talk to the classteacher where you are. Try out your lesson on the class you have and then tweak it.
    Your current classteacher might know the parallel teacher at the other school and can nab you some insider information. Take advantage of the 'who you know, not what you know' idea that is most definitely alive and well in teaching.
    And very best of luck.

4. traineecvc

traineecvc New commenter

Thank you, I plan to ring the school on Monday and ask about SEN etc in the class so I’ll mention it :)

5. traineecvc

traineecvc New commenter

Thank you for your response, it is a very tight academy so I will definitely ask her! Thank you.

6. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Yes, I'd test the lesson out on the current class. Find out if they have IWB and resources, but even then, I took my own. Name labels are great, but if they don't, just ask them. I also told the interview class from the start, that I'm a teacher from y2 in another school, but heard how good they are at putting up their hands, and being clever, well behaved, etc as it helps remind them that youre expecting good behaviour etc. Good luck!

7. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

In my last interview observation I took my own sheets of labels and some funky felt pens and said that our first activity was writing our names on labels so I knew who they all were. It took about 2 mins tops. Spent the rest of the observation being able to address the children by name. Oh, and got the job! Remember to make yourself a label too

8. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Keep the lesson simple and make sure you're not teaching something already covered (have a look on the school website for their topic webs and schemes of work).
    Personally I've never bothered with labels, I just try to learn a few names during the lesson so that I can discuss particular children during the interview.
    I'd say maths is easier to teach for an interview, you can make it more practical and differentiation is easier to show.
    Make sure you know the makeup of the class: SEN, PP, gifted and talented. What resources are available for you to use? Will there be a TA?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've done that for all classes up to year 4. (Not sure my pens were ever 'funky' but they were blue or black and very broad nibbed, so I could actually read the labels.)
    For year 5 and 6 I've got them to fold the paper to make a triangular prism that stands on their desk (no cutting or gluing needed) and then write their name on it. Makes them feel all grown up, with a name stand on their desk and allows me to find out who is capable of following instructions given orally and who not. Also who will give up in a strop and who will help others.

ALWAYS bother with names...it gives a good impression.