1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation feedback 'good with elements of satisfactory'???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparkledust1, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hi Hoping there is someone out there who could give me some advice..
    Have been teaching for quite a while now and moved to a new school this year. I've just had my first lesson observation feedback at the new school and was upset by the comments. Having always been graded as 'good with elements of outstanding' by colleagues and OFSTED I was surprised to receive feedback which was 'good with elements of satisfactory'. Please help, is it right to receive feedback like this?
    The lesson observation was over 6 weeks ago and have only just received the written feedback! I have a meeting with the observer this week. Please help!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes if it is accurate, no if it isn't.

It is a pain to have to wait so long. And an utter nuisance to have a meeting so long after getting the judgement. But schools can't always do the feedback and judgements as soon as we would like.

Go to the meeting and find out what they think was satisfactory. It could just be that your new school is looking for different things to you previous one. Ask 'What would you have liked to have seen to make that aspect good?' and similar questions.

3. Thanks, I always thought feedback was supposed to be within a week. The written said I over-taught on main input but was observed on the guided session!
    Have prepared some questions to ask, thanks for your advice.

4. I, too, thought that feedback should be asap. 6 weeks can not be described as such?

5. Not really! It now makes it really difficult to discuss the feedback!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

ASAP can be as soon as it is deemed possible.

6 weeks is a little long, but half term was one of those weeks and other things do get in the way.

If the school is otherwise fab, then it isn't worth making a fuss about.

And to be honest, good is good end of story. It doesn't actually matter (except for one's pride) if some of the bits were outstanding or if some of the bits were satisfactory, the overall grade is recorded officially as 'good'.

7. It's not what I would call fab! Good is good but they tried to feed this into my performance management this week (yes have only had this this week as well). I'm very critical of my own teaching and wouldn't mind my pride being wounded at all but didn't agree with the comments :( feel quite frustrated.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You could be me after my last observation. I understand the frustration at the unfairness.

I photocopied the feedback sheet and annotated how I thought I had met the next section up for the criteria I disagreed with. I handed a copy to the HT with a request for it to be filed with the original. No idea if he did or not, but it made me feel better.

My PM targets and strategies and all that are still being edited by me and by my HT as well...

Could drive me nuts if I let it or I can just go with the flow. It matters not a lot if it is done this week or next month. I won't look at it again until the mid year review in about March and I can't see anyone else doing so either.

9. Thanks for your post. It's somehow good to know it's not just me but sorry that you are having that going on.
    Haven't seen my written perfomance management yet but hope they have taken my opinion into account! You're right about not letting it drive you nuts, will try to remember this and cling on to the children's progress and learning. I have a meeting about it all this week which makes me feel very worried but at least then i'll have a chance to find out more about the comments and have my say even if nothing changes. Then I will try to let it go!