1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Observation as PPA teacher?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by libby77, Nov 14, 2015.

1. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

Can anyone help. I'm currently in role as a PPA teacher. I have been a class teacher for 10 years. My confidence has been decimated due to poor management (most will understand). I have been observed as a class teacher and had outstanding in this school. I have been in role for a couple of weeks now (after being off with diagnosed anxiety) and have been told I'm not allowed to be involved in planning at present as I don't know the children! (15 classes of them). I have also been told I have a lesson observation in a couple of weeks that will be graded.

I don't know how I can be graded when I'm not allowed to be involved in planning or create my own class routines as I have to strictly follow everyone else's (I'm being assessed on that too!). I'm not differentiating either. It's all what's given to me. I obviously don't really know the children's names as I see them once a week and then I'm trying to learn another 30 children's names an hour or so later! It's causing me alot of stress. I have asked the head twice in writing for advice but have had no response?

Anyone help?

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Another e-mail for you to send. I've just written one for you on the other thread. CC it to Head's secretary

Dear Headteacher

I understand that I shall be having a lesson observation in a few weeks' time with one of my 15 classes.

As you know, my role at present is that of a PPA teacher . Within this role I do no planning, following instead the planning of other teachers, including differentiation only when they include this in the plans that they provide. Similarly, for classroom behaviour management, I cannot set my own routines but follow those provided by the teachers. And, of course, having 15 classes of 30 children and seeing them only once a week means that I do not know the children, their names, any background information about them that could inform planning or teaching.

I am therefore requesting two pieces of information.

I need to know on which criteria this lesson will be graded, as it seems only fair that no-one should in any situation be judged without knowing what they are being judged on.

I would also wish to know whether other colleagues also are being observed and graded while teaching classes that they hardly know (seeing them only once a week), having not been able to set their own classroom routines, and following somebody else's planning.

I would wish to receive the answer to these questions within three working days of your receipt of this request for information.

Right, off you go! (Don't put that in the e-mail!).

Best wishes

3. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I just wanted to reply about the issue with learning pupil names (I unfortunately don't have the background to advise you with anything else). Learning names of pupils you have once a week is tough but there are ways round it. Have you done a seating plan? You can laminate this and keep it on your desk. Also, in my school, there are photos on the register so you can actually associate names and pupils even when they are not sitting in front of you which is really helpful when they come in the next time. Maybe something like this is available for you?

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Also, we are advised to have coded notes on pupils on the register if they have ASNs. It must be done in a way no one else would understand but you can look at it while planning and know who requires what in terms of support. Starting back with lots of new classes is challenging but these are not insurmountable problems

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some very good ideas, @Mazod , but remember:

Not involved in planning . . .

Best wishes