1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson observation as part of job interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cozg, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cozg

cozg New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I am an experienced teacher looking for another job- KS2 Primary- in the coming year and have got my cv ready etc. I seem to be able to get interviews but the bit I find really difficult is doing an observed lesson. The last interview I had said 'teach the class for 20 minutes- whatever you like'. The one before that was an hour's lesson- Year 5 'whatever you like'. I find the open-endeness of it is like looking into a black hole - I have no idea how to teach an outstanding lesson from 'nothing' as it were -not knowing the children and with no defined remit to the lesson. I'm fine in my own classroom with children I know and a curriculum to deliver but put in that situation I draw a blank for what to do.
    Can anyone help??

2. The only advice I can give is a little tongue in cheek -
    Apply for the job advertised at my school, due to circumstances outside the schools control, they are advertising during the hols, no lesson will be required.
    Wren

3. cozg

cozg New commenter

that would be handy [​IMG] - I have noticed some jobs advertised in the hols. However am limited to do-able distance from where I live and also want a permanent full time job which doesnt fit the bill with what is advertised in my area at the moment.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't you just choose the most successful lesson you've ever taught in the past and adapt it accordingly?