1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson observation anxiety

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pianist1, Jan 16, 2019.

1. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

Since the start of this term, colleagues and I have been on stand by for a lesson observation in a core subject. An obsession with who is coming in through the door is developing amongst staff. When pinned down, iur would be observer said er well umm some will occur this week and some next week. An impending observation can cause anxiety in itself. To be under the scrutiny of another professional is somewhat uncomfortable to say the least. Moreover, just not knowing when the lesson on will take place. What does everyone think of this?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

I don’t care anymore about them to be honest. Causes so much stress and it’s not fair. Just do what you always do and don’t worry. I find peer observations much worse.xx

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.
  3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I don't think it's OK for them to not tell you when it is and it definitely creates anxiety.

We had this a few years ago - on standby for 2 weeks for a formal obs! Got to Friday PM of the 2nd week, when I had my worst class so at lunchtime I knew that's what the Head would be coming to. Nobody turned up - I wasn't observed at all in that round of observations. Relieved but fuming.

This year we know well in advance what our week is (because it's done by department - each department has a week). We are then told the week before what day it is. So you don't know exactly which class, but at least you know the day.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have mixed feelings on this.

Really any employee should be happy to be observed by anyone at any time. No show should be put on. No performance.

I knew too many colleagues in my career who would prepare a stellar performance for an observer only to revert to their normal nasty selves as soon as the observer left the room. Also there are the people who simply fall to pieces when they're otherwise really rather decent teachers.

You can't win really. Neither the observer nor the observed. My advice. Just do it.

SundaeTrifle and mswisdom like this.
  5. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Once you're qualified and had your NQT year signed off you shouldn't be observed ever again. There's no need for such subjective claptrap.

lardylegs, tenpast7, ATfan and 3 others like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I agree @Oldfashioned

I agree totally.

My advice is to "rise above, dear, rise above". Let's face it. They're not going to stop. Somebody seems to think they're a good idea and doesn't realise that the only thing that matters is: are the kids performing to their potential (THEIR potential - not imposed external targets though) and are they decent human beings? You don't need to observe a lesson to know those things.