1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson observation advice PLEASE !!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rusmum, Oct 15, 2011.

1. completely fluffed an observation last week! So i have to do it again!! AGH! [​IMG]
    Head wants to see a writing lesson = for 1 hour (y1/2 class)
    Thinking of firework poems? help needed and appreciated

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When are you doing this repeat? It is a bit early for fireworks.

Start with a learning objective rather than an activity for a better chance of doing well.

If you have time buy 'pimp your lesson' from Amazon and read it and apply some of the theories.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pimp-Your-Lesson-Continuum-Practical/dp/0826496539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318709135&sr=8-1

3. lesson is on tues! and firework poetry is the lit planning for next week anyway (work in a 3 class team so all follow same general plan). objectives to use describing words. book sounds interesting for future reference though thanks

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

give groups of chn different pics of fireworks and ask for some describing words to go with it. write words down on postits or slips of paper. arrange words in whatever order the groups agree, and bingo! poem using descriptive words...
    have done it with my y1/2s, is fine. will need a bit of modelling tho, so maybe a bit of prepping before the obs would be wise.

5. Video as a stimulus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What is the dreaded learning objective for the lesson? Then build the perfect lesson plan from that.

Include inventing some words of their own which sound like fireworks and writing them down phonically?
    Give children a chance to record / share / read out their poetry in some way?
    It is very early for firework stuff but I don't suppose that matters really - children love fireworks and are happy to talk about them any time of the year. Agree with the idea of a video as stimulus - then you can discuss sights, sounds, smells, feelings before they start - including excitement and fear.
    What aspect was considered unsatisfactory last time?

7. it is wording the objective just right that gets me - i want childen to use descriptive language.
    Bottom 2 groups writing individual words for fireworks phonetically, middle same but independently, top to write a describing word (ie bang) and extend the idea (ie bang, like a xxxxx) etc?

not sure i feel so muddles after the last one.
    Problem was i thought the last one was ok! he said there wasnt enough writing ?, didnt like lower group using role play, carpet time too long, and he said (it was supposed to be cross curricular) that my lesson was neither history nor literacy, it fell in between?

8. All words are written "phonically" - the letters in words are encoded sounds.

9. comenius

comenius New commenter

I've used a really simple frame before for senses poetry with year 1 children which is easy to differentiate. Basically...
    'When I watch the fireworks
    I can see.....
    I can hear....
    I can smell....
    I can feel....
    I can taste....'
    You could start with a video as stimulus as others have said and look at paintings of fireworks (cross curricular links to art). Build up word banks for each of the senses (you could do this the lesson before) then use the word banks to write the poem - year 2's write whole poem out, year 1's could just finish off each line. The ones not writng independently could maybe label photos of fireworks and have a go at adding a sentence. Then share poems at end - peer assess etc against success criteria.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What are your colleagues doing next week? Email them and find out so that you all do something similar surely?

Firework poetry a fortnight before firework night is a bit weird, but hey ho.

Use describing words is easy enough.

Your least able can write words on to a picture, or trace them after reading if they cannot write.

Then use the poetry idea above...lots of good ones. I might steal them for firework day and my year 2 class.

11. I like the video idea, will definitely be using that when it gets nearer to November 5th!
    I would make a class list of describing words for the feel/sight/taste etc of the fireworks from the video. Perhaps with the children in a circle and big paper and coloured pens in the middle? Chn of all abilities can suggest words and higher ability can have a go at writing themselves, or teacher can scribe for others. Then, the chn have a huge word bank of fabulous words to scaffold their independent writing.

12. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

One idea I have used before is to list fireworks, bangers, rockets etc.,
    then list sounds, smells, sights of bonfire night eg., hiss, fizz crackle, smoke.
    Then choose one from each to go together.
    Bangers crash
    Sparklers crackle
    etc.
    Some good results and it's great fun playing with words, but not sure of dreaded learning ob.
    Good luck!

13. What about a simple jazz chant elicited from kids by your actions and word prompts on board taking advantage of their phonic knowledge. For example:

Fireworks, fireworks
    in the air
    Smell fireworks everywhere!
    Fireworks pink, yellow and blue
    Fireworks for me and you!
    Hiss, fizz, crackle, pop
    Fireworks, fireworks, pop, don't stop!

Then on black card with coloured chalk kids design a picture and write their own version of jazz chant?
    Good luck!

14. When I did this last year we started by watching some video clips and discussing sounds fireworks make. Then I gave each group a large piece of paper with a firework in the middle. Each group had a different type of firework - rocket, catherine wheel, banger, bonfire, sparkler. Then I gave them felt tips, as they seemto get excited writing with felt tips. They wrote down describing words around their firework then reported back to rest of class. We then used these pictures and words as stimulus for the poems. They wrote a line about each firework. LA could maybe have pictures of fireworks in eir thbooks and have a go at writing some simple words/captions about them.

15. Get them moving almost as soon as they get into the class. Tell the children that they are going to be describing fireworks and using these words to help them write a poem. Put different fire work images on each table. Get the children to go to each table and write words to describe the firework. Keep it sharp and tell them they only have time to write 1 or 2 words before moving on. Once all groups have visted each table bing them to the carpet with the completed descriptions. feed back words from each group. Model how these could be used to write a firework poem.
    Then encourage the children to chose which firework they woudl like to write the poem about and let them go off and have a go.
    Give them time to have a go and have a go at reading back their poems to the class.