1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lesson obs- the gruffalo

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pink sparkle, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi i have a lesson obs next week which i had planned and prepared for but now having doubts. any advice would be welcomed!

focus: extended writing- character description

We will be reading the gruffalo as our main literacy text during the week but my lesson obs consists of TA dressing up as the gruffalo and appearing at school. The children are going to use this visual image and hopefully create a detailed character description.
    I'm worrying now though that it won't work and am 'over thinking' about how i can change it.
    What do you think???

Thanks everyone

2. Hi i have a lesson obs next week which i had planned and prepared for but now having doubts. any advice would be welcomed!

focus: extended writing- character description

We will be reading the gruffalo as our main literacy text during the week but my lesson obs consists of TA dressing up as the gruffalo and appearing at school. The children are going to use this visual image and hopefully create a detailed character description.
    I'm worrying now though that it won't work and am 'over thinking' about how i can change it.
    What do you think???

Thanks everyone

3. My immediate reaction is why choose The Gruffalo? It's a well-loved, wonderful text, but sadly over-used and the children may well have done it several times already....although your ideas do sound fabulous! Just be careful that the children haven't already done this activity....

4. What year are they?
    I agree with the poster above - if they are familiar with it, it takes away any element of exciement.
    I would perhaps choose a story unknown by the children, introduce the character BEFORE the story and get them to write character descriptions based on their first impressions. Then you could read them the story, and get them to consider if they would change their character descriptions knowing what they now know.

5. Thanks for your comment. the only reason is because the text was set by the literacy manager at school. In general our children rarely have access to books outside of school and it hasn't been covered in any other year group. my biggest concern is if they've seen the film version!!!
    thanks again

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds fab!

Maybe get them to write some labels with adjectives to stick on to the Gruffalo (TA) to use as an aid to writing?

rest sounds great.

7. thanks, I've made some blank signs (like name cards) attached with string. Thought each group could write decsriptive words and hang them from the gruffalo but sticky labels might be more practical.
    Just stuck for how to get across his personality and feelings.

8. inq

inq

Could they do a very quick hot-seating exercise to find out personality and feelings? Perhaps prepare the questions first on a 'If the Gruffalo walked in tomorrow what would you like to ask him?'
    I did some Y1 work on speaking and listening by getting the children in pairs to pretend to have to tell different people about the same thing, e.g. you've lost your school tie - how would you tell friend/ teacher/ mum/ headteacher = how did they speak differently? how were the responses different? Perhaps you could do something along these lines to work out how the Gruffalo was feeling.