1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson obs on Monday - could I ask for your (very) friendly criticism please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tangerinecat, May 21, 2011.

1. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I really, really want to do well, as it will be my swansong [​IMG]
    Year 4
    Focus - AfL
    Obj - Present a spoken argument, sequencing points logically, defending views with evidence and making use of persuasive language (which is a Y5 obj but I have a particularly bright class overall)
    The chn will generate their own success criteria.
    Last week we split into two groups - one supporting banning playtime, the other against. The team in opposition were dreadful, not persuasive at all, were rather threatening. The team in support of the ban were good. I videoed them both and we've watched them casually.
    So - my lesson:
    Watch stronger team vid. Talk partners - What was good about it? What points did they make? Generate list as class of good features of a persuasive argument.
    Watch weaker video. Were there any good points? How could they have improved? etc
    We are going to improve this argument, and create another video at the end.
    LA (3 chn) - with TA. Will work as a group, TA to scribe ideas and help them practice public speaking. Focus on two good reasons and expanding on them slightly.
    MA (7 chn) - In pairs, come up with three / four reasons why playtime should not be banned, and expand on them. Practice presentation without paper to refer to. TA to circulate between the two groups.
    HA (4 chn) - really struggling. Wondered whether to get them to present a written argument individually using vocabulary such as 'furthermore', 'in support of' etc? Intro, reason 1, reason 2, reason 3, conclusion, points all backed up with evidence? With my support.
    Present, video, questioning eg 'What made X and Y's presentation good?', 'How could G and H improve their presentation?' etc
    Help!!
    Thank you very much!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It sounds interesting!
    I'm not sure I'd have time to do all of this in one lesson myself; it depends how well and how quickly the children can rework their arguments.
    How are the two sides split? Would it be better to have all those in favour working together, and those against working together?
    For HA, a written argument sounds good, but then it doesn't meet the LO. Can you extend their use of persuasive language, for example the power of three, for their spoken argument?
    What about the evidence they are using? Is this something they have already researched, or is there scope for some children doing more in this area?
    Sorry I'm not much help. I think I asked more questions that actually offering any answers!

3. Sounds good but - and it's a big but. I would thin out your LO. It seems quite cumbersome.

You seem to have 3 areas you want to cover: sequencing points logically, defending views with evidence and making use of persuasive language.

I would pick one key area and go with that and differentiate it for your different abilities. Your head will be spinning otherwise.

Supposing you went for the sequencing points logically. You could base this around the use of connectives starting with 'sequencing connectives' for your LA. Your MA could use more discursive connectives such as 'however', 'on the other hand' etc. to show they can recognise both sides of an issue.

You could alternatively go for the persuasive language side of things which is the easiest for you IMO. Plus this shows good formative assessment on your part as you perceived this to be a weakness last week so you are now doing something to address it. Part of your differentiation for the HA could be the ability to carry out a balanced argument. Other ideas to stretch the MA is to include an illustrative story with emotive language e.g. Imagine - you are working hard in Maths and really looking forward to much needed some fresh air...

Lastly - you may not agree with this but I am not a fan of pupils generating own SC ESPECIALLY during an obs. It takes too long and their ideas are too uncertain. I would give the criteria to them and allow them to add one of their own. Keep the pace sharp and tight.

When I give SC criteria I link it to levels e.g. to be a level 3 I would like you to try to include...

Do you have Flip cameras you can give out so pupils can assess themselves as part of the process?

And lastly - AFL. Get in your talk partners, self-assessment, mini-plenaries etc.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

4. Arggghhh where did me paragraphs go!!

5. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Thank you so much guys. You're right - I do need to thin out objective, and persuasive language is probably the best way to go. I like the linking to levels idea, and I think the class would appreciate that. I haven't done it before, but since the observers will miss the introduction of the lesson, it's unlikely they will pick up on that (unless they read this thread [​IMG]).
    Yes, we have Flip cams - that's what we recorded the original video on. I'm sure we can borrow a couple from other classes so we have one per group.
    You have both given me food for thought - off to gee things up a bit [​IMG]