1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson obs and Headteachers

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tara196, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Hello again,

I have recently resigned from my post for various reasons and I already feel like a weight has been lifted and in many ways i think my head is probably relieved as they know where they stand now. (I have had 4 interviews in the last 10 months).

I got shortlisted last week but it was already half term and my only contact with the head was to email my situation, which was as follows:

The school will phone me on 2nd November to confirm details about the lesson observation. The only detail I know at the moment is that i will be teaching a Y4 class on either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday next week and I have not been told for how long. - This is not what I sent my head- I worded it differently!

I made my head aware via email last Friday evening and just let them know that I did not have any more details other than the info above. I am worried he will refuse to let me go as I know he does have the authority to do so.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Could you ask for unpaid leave? That's what I did for my interview number 4 (which I was offered, accepted and started this past September).

good luck!

___________________________________________________________________________________
    damnant quod non intellegunt

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Three things for you. Or possibly four!

First of all:

Yes, you are correct. There is no obligation on a Head to allow you to go to interview in school time, unless there is something in your contract or a local agreement about this.

Secondly, however most Heads DO let you go, and give paid leave for this, unless it is very troublesome for an absence on that date.

Thirdly, I cannot see why the Head would stop you going to interview. You are leaving, you'll be off the radar soon, one day - or two or more - will not make that much difference. If the Head is feeling relieved, s/he'll be feeling more warmly towards you.

Fourthly - not for you but for anyone else reading thia - never even think of pulling a sickie. Never. Ever.

And finally, here is some advice about the interview to allow you to really show yourself off at your best!

Below you have Links to the newly-transferred advice articles from old-TES. Some of them are not relevant to you, but I am including them all for the benefit of other posters.

By the way - queries about applications and interviews are answered regularly on the Jobseekers forum. Pop over there and start a thread with a query at any time.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you went to the JobSeekers forum and started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed - but only offer if the head refuses permission for you to go (he might simply agree to let you go paid, as most heads do until you've had several interviews, then they get antsy about it.)

sabrinakat likes this.