1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson objectives - target language?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by geegely, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Morning all,

I wonder if anybody can help me on the question of setting lesson objectives.

Whilst having my children, I have been out of teaching MFL for a few years; in the past always set my lesson objectives in English. I don't want to look like a complete wally when going back into a languages classroom, setting them in English, when EVERYBODY knows they should be set in the target language.

What do you do? Do you simplify them and deliver them in the target language (in my case French and German), or is it acceptable to deliver them in English? If you do use TL, do you have a key phrase you use?

I'm sorry if this is glaringly obvious to everybody - I just don't want to make a mistake when i'm looking to get back into things.

2. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

I always put them in English. To my mind they're about explaining what it is they are going to learn and how they will know if they have and if it's done in the TL I don't think it's useful. This, of course, is just my view.

[​IMG]

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would say English is fine. Of course, you don't always have to do it! There's a lot of teaching by numbers these days, much of it excellent.

4. Thanks everybody. I am reassured that objectives aren't now a complete no-no in English, but I'll judge as I go along.

5. Only ever use the target language. You didn't learn English in a foreign language, did you? So why should you learn French or German in a foreign language, ie, English? - all you'll do is slow your students down

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'm fluent in four languages. Only my native language (French) was presented to me in said native language. All other languages I learned from the age of 11, through the medium of French with some routine phrases said in Italian (German and English teachers didn't bother with target language). As a result I knew very early on how to say "don't swing on your chair" and "can I go to the toilet" in Italian. I can't say it has sped up my acquisition of the Italian language compared to the other languages, but it certainly made the lesson more exciting and more authentic. Even so, our teacher still explained the grammar etc in French.
    I disagree with 100% target language with all classes. It's not realistic and pupils will resent it. I sometimes do it as a challenge for a lesson, and pupils like that, because they know they have to get to the end of the lesson without hearing a word of English and it becomes a game. They would quickly hate it if it was constant, and my teaching (and their progress) would be poorer.
    I went as far once as spending time with an Arabic teacher when doing a placement in a school with a large EAL pupil population, to see if there was any grammar features in Arabic that overlapped with the MFL I was trying to teach (there are, btw). I think making links and connections with the pupils' original language helps them acquire language more quickly and efficiently.