1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Objective vs Learning Outcome

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by googolplex, May 18, 2011.

1. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

No disrespect to you shirtandtie for this but....
    ...no-one will ever convince me that any of this improves either learning or education. For learning objectives, I use a title, and stick "to learn how to..." in front of it. Ofsted has never moaned...and I don't much care if it isn't strictly what I'm supposed to do.
    I remember one ofsted inspection, where we had a long term Australian supply teacher teaching further maths. When asked by the inspector why he hadn't used a learning objective he replied, in strong 'down-under' accent: "Learning objective? Chapter 6, that's my learning objective". The ofsted inspector gave him 'outstanding'...
    There is no substitute for a well-taught lesson. If we spend our whole time window dressing, making sure LOs are put up, and making sure we're ticking the right boxes, surely we're missing the whole point.

2. Non taken.
    Agreed.
    Yep. Never bother with it myself.
    But luckily for me Ofsted are unlikely to darken the threshold of my classroom.

3. None taken - but mainly because I totally agree with you and Betamale (and others). I currently write detailed plans, with clear lesson objectives and differentiated (all, most, some) learning outcomes .... I MUST show the objective to the class, and keep it prominent throughout the lesson, and my plenary MUST be designed to test the learning outcomes (I am, thankfully, under no obligation to tell the pupils the differentiated learning outcomes at the beginning of the lesson though!) .... and I do all this not because I want to, but because, as pointed out earlier, I'm training for crufts (... no apparently not! Just been told that I'm training on the GTP ... so why do I feel like I spend most of my time jumping through hoops!?!?).

That said, once qualified I'm sure I will "THINK" of lesson objectives and learning outcomes, but they will be an intrinsic part of planning the lesson (not necessarily the same as writing a lesson plan) not just something to show to pupils/inspectors.
    So, looking at my OP ... irrespective of whether you write them or not (on your own lesson plan or on the board for pupils) are your objectives (what you want to teach the pupils/what you want them to learn) very often the same as your outcomes (what you want them to be able to do)? I guess that's what I was asking.
    As others have said ... the answer is very often yes, since you want them to "learn how to find the area of a circle" (objective) and you will know this by whether they then "find the area of circles" (outcome).
    Re the party line, I've already answered one essay question of "Is teaching a profession?" with a conclusion along the lines of "who cares? I'm going to act in a professional manner no matter what people call my job". My trainers know that I disagree with a lot of the things on the course (mainly because they don't transfer to maths very well) and we've agreed never to bring up VAK again ... I think they want me to qualify and get off the course as much as I do!!

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Do it if you have to - your trainig provider has to do something and have some boxes to tick.
    In reality heed the advice above and even OFSTED couldnt give a stuff about this any more.
    They have relaised that it has nothing to do with quality teaching and is kind of a basic that you might expect to see from a trainig teacher but is jsut automatic and does not need to be made explicit by an experienced professional.

5. What are the going to learn

How are they going to demonstrate that they have learnt it

Can they extrapolate and/or apply

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our GTP student is supernumerary. Their training provider insists on it.
    She picked up 2 classes after half a term and then another 2 in January. A day a week is kept free for university training. Some of that is spent at universtiy and some is free for writing the essays. I think the logic is to make the GTP more similar to the PGCE.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

In answer to the OP I agree that the Learning objective and the Learning outcome are very similar in Maths.
    I can never see any discussion of WALT and WILF without being tempted to add:
    We All Now Know

8. Sorry FF, forgot to reply to this.
    My experience is somewhere inbetween yours and what bombaysaphire reported.
    Actually, I've just written a detailed reply ... but I'll PM it to you.