1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson ideas regarding climate/weather/trees

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beckyboo123, Nov 11, 2018.

1. beckyboo123

beckyboo123 New commenter

Hey guys,

Was wondering if any of you could give me some advice?
    I have an interview soon and the topic of the lesson is to do with weather/climate and how it affect/impacts trees. I would like it to be as creative and engaging as possible...guessing all to do with STEM.

If anyone has any ideas, initially I was thinking about tree cookies/trying to get the children to make a tree using set materials and then discussing how the weather affects their designs?

I've been out of teaching for 3 years now and feel like my brain has gone to mush so sorry about the rambling.

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They gave you this is a topic for an interview lessons? :eek:

What year group?
    How long is the lesson?

3. beckyboo123

beckyboo123 New commenter

Mixed 5/6 and half hour... i was thinking it was hard too! So not just me!

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Check how it links to the NC for year 5/6.It is a difficult one as much would depend on previous knowledge and what has been taught before. It isn't a stand alone area.Pictures of different trees in the environment they grow in, some would be really obvious, descriptions of the climate in those areas, matching game. Perhaps even actual example of different leaves, dark shiny leaves, hairy leaves etc , adaptations, ......
    Just some thoughts.

5. MissieTrex

MissieTrex New commenter

Power point
    - can you identify parts of a tree (roots, leaves, trunks, seeds, flowers). Show pics & chat about what they know about tree.
    - where do trees grow? (parks, streets, schools, along side river embankments - some of it is planned by garden architect (can’t remember specific name for city garden planners/designers)
    -
    Link to season & weather (autumn - lots more rain. Ice is melting - it’s always in the news or on cbbc/ planet earth. Show a brief video clip? (Weather report pic/ umbrella/welly boots) Studies are reporting an increase in rain for longer periods. Scientists are telling governments we need to make drastic changes in the next 12 years (heard it on radio 4). We as individuals need to make changes.

What do you think the impact is on nature/trees ?

Discuss

Look specifically at picture of tree alongside a river (rivers are rising / soil too wet /trees damaged - & other nature that live around/on/in tree)

Motorways - pupils know cars pollute the air. How many families have more than one car ? Etc. Trees/ nature feeing the increasing brunt. Show leaf damage or the bark showing damage (kids might find it interesting to find out how you can see damage)

Pupils know they need to reduce pollution. Think abou technologies - electric cars. Quick fire q about what they could do to reduce pollution.

Task - I would keep it very simple as pupils will only be able to start it. They may have a really long list of what people can do as it will have been taught before.

I hope this helps.

6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Your subject should be the other way round. Trees affect our weather in the world enormously and the fact that we are destroying rain forests is having a big affect. Have you thought of it this way? I may well write a poem on this subject because it is so important.

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Looking at the date on your original post, this is probably too late but may be useful at some other point in the future:

You could discuss what is causing the record-breakingly devastating wildfires that have happened in America, Australia etc over the last few years.

Another possibility is to look at how global warming (among other things) enables the spread of pests that feed on/kill trees.

You could set up an investigation into how ground cover affects soil erosion:
    https://www.lapappadolce.net/science-experiment-on-soil-erosion
    If you have a Blue Peter-style 'here's one I made earlier' version the children could see how the roots hold the soil together then discuss the affects of deforestation, drought and heavy rainfall on hillsides. If you put some some turf/dry soil/wet soil/sand on a slope. they'd be able to test the effects of heavy rain on which groundcover holds onto the slope best.