1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson For Interview Help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by r_j_kevill, Jul 18, 2019.

1. r_j_kevill

r_j_kevill New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview coming up next week for a HLTA post in a primary school. I have been asked to plan and deliver a 20 min lesson to year 1 as part of it. I thought I had planned a great lesson, but when I asked my partner his thoughts he was concerned that it might be too scary for the 5-6 year olds I will be delivering it too. I want to know what other professionals think about it before I scrap my plan and start from scratch.

I have planned an English lesson around the 3 pigs, where pupils will learn about adjectives. I plan to read the story and ask pupils what they think the wolf looks like and acts like. After this, they will then make a wanted poster for the big bad wolf. To complete the worksheet they have to draw the wolf, and then using a word bank, copy some of the adjectives in writing onto the description part of their sheet, with the option for pupils to think of their own words. To conclude the lesson on a nicer note, I was going to ask pupils to tell me one describing word for someone they love such as a friend or family member, so they can apply the lesson in other ways.

What do you guys think? will it go down a storm or is it just too dark. I don't want to give them nightmares?

Any advise is much appreciate :)

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Is your partner a teacher?

Too scary? We're talking about a generation who have likely seen every film in the Marvel Universe and Harry Potter. They have some villains who are scary to a 5 year old. Or who have sneaked looks at older brother/sister's video games. Or have watched every Disney film, which contains some pretty hideous characters.

If you were basing this lesson on Stephen King's It, or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, then yes, scary. But Three Little Pigs? Which they possibly already have had read to them? No.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

The Three Little Pigs ought to be a familiar story to most Year 1 children. I am not sure how you are going to fit everything you describe into 20 minutes. How long does it take to read the story?