1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson based on one of Julia Donaldsons books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sherfield73, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Hi!

I have an interview in the next few weeks, and I have to teach a 20 min ,lesson based on one of the Julia Donaldson books. I am teaching 8 children from reception, yr1 and yr2.

Book of hers that I have -

A Squash and a Squeeze
    Charlie Cooks Favourite Book
    The Gruffalo
    Monkey Puzzle
    The Snail and the Whale
    The Smartest Giant in Town
    Room on the Broom
    The Gruffalo's Child.

I really want the job so any creative ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi!

I have an interview in the next few weeks, and I have to teach a 20 min ,lesson based on one of the Julia Donaldson books. I am teaching 8 children from reception, yr1 and yr2.

Book of hers that I have -

A Squash and a Squeeze
    Charlie Cooks Favourite Book
    The Gruffalo
    Monkey Puzzle
    The Snail and the Whale
    The Smartest Giant in Town
    Room on the Broom
    The Gruffalo's Child.

I really want the job so any creative ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

3. The Gruffalo is good for rhyme and syllables. Could clap out beats and identify rhyme; perhaps have the key words on flashcards. Get chn to read the words at the end?

4. Also, could make Gruffalo masks and reinact speech in the text.

5. Have a look in the resources section as there is some exmaples of planning based on these books. Might not be useful but worth a look

6. I have a lesson plan for Room on the broom which I used for an interview for 35 minutes- send me your e-mail and I'll let you have it
    my e-mail is :
    hsadams7@msn.com

7. Hi,

Thanks for responses. Will have a look over links that have been posted tonight.

My biggest concern is the time limit, 20 minutes is nothing. Im not going to get the children to do any writing as its not worth it in 20 mins. So its going to be drama based, with masks for an element of fun.

Was thinking could look at the gruffalo and the mouses emotions, so carpet session could be discussing their emotions and then in pairs make freeze frames to show emotions focusing on facial expressions and body language, what do people think?

Once again thanks for posts and links, its appreciated hugely.

8. gruffalo website has masks to print out ...

9. You could do that with the Gruffalo, and also the Monkey Puzzle and Room on a Broom too. Maybe get them to look at the picture, get them to close their eyes and imagine that they were the mouse, or another character (cos you don't just have to think of the mouse's feelings, the other animals are scared too because they think they will be eaten by the Gruffalo, or some could be the Gruffalo) and what they could see, hear, feel.... get them to explain that - set the scene as it were.

I did planned a Book Week based around JD but non of my lessons could be condensed down to 20 mins. Another great book is 'Tiddler' - a tall tale telling fish. It's new. I used it and got the children to write letters telling tall tales as to why they were late for school. Can't be done in 20 mins. But it's a good one to talk about lying and telling lies, what kind of trouble you get into, who believes you etc. Like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, but with a happy ending (the fish doesn't get eaten)!

Love JD - she's totally fabulous!

10. Please excuse the terrible typos - I am hanging my head in shame! ;-)

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I put a scheme of work based on Julia Donaldson books on the resource bank and it seems to have been popular.

It is very drama and music based so I am sure you could take one of the ideas and change it so it fits a 20 minute session.

NB: If its an interview lesson I would personally avoid 'the Gruffalo' as its one of the more well-known texts and it is likely other candidates will have chosen this. I'd try and go for something a bit different, but thats just me :)

12. Tiddler, Tiddler, Tiddler! Tiddler's fab! :) It has repetition, they can join in, rhyming not as good as the other JD books though.

I wish I had known about the SoW, RJR. Might have cut down some of my planning time! :-D

13. Right - have tried to take everyones comments on board.
    Agree that 'The Gruffalo' is one of the more well known books, so may focus on 'Monkey Puzzle', Smartest Giant in Town' or Charlies Cookbook'.
    Am thinking know (as major concern is the 20 mins time limit) that will introduce book, read start and then ask the children to predict what happens next, share ideas on carpet and then in 4's discuss what they think as a group will happen and mime it out, other group have to interpret mimes.
    What do people think to that?

Jess

14. That's what I did with Room on the broom and it worked really well- glad I chose that one as 3 OTHER CANDIDATES HAD CHOSEN GRUFFALO !!!!

15. Hi sherfield73

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I'm in the process of trying to prepare a 15 minute lesson for yr1 class for interview so have been very interested in responses. I was also thinking about using a JD book.

Another idea I had was to use the book 'Handa's Surprise' by Eileen Brown. Has lots of different tropical fruits and animals in it. I thought I could take in all the different fruits to show children after reading the book and get them to feel & smell them and try and then describe each of them. What do you/everyone else think of this idea? I'm finding it really hard to plan for just 15mins!

Silverwood - could you possibly email me your Room on the Broom lesson plan as I would find it very helpful to see how others plan interview lessons. My address is: miss_mathilda@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks

16. Hi Miss-mathilda

Im still in limbo about what im doing for my interview, but from what I have gathered from on here and through talking to people is, choose an activity that you are happy with. Make sure you know the book well, I have decided that the trouble with reading a whole book is that it will take up the whole lesson, and thats not very good in an interview. Maybe pick out a section of the book to do. Your idea of the fruit sounds nice, you could make cross curricular links with healthy eating and PSHE. Make it into a circle time activity, get the children to close their eyes and pass the fruit round. Each child has to describe it using their senses, and then the class have to guess what fruit it actually is.

Hope this helps.

Jessica

17. Oh sorry forgot to ask where and when is your interview?

18. I was going to say don't use the Gruffalo as everyone else will use it... I like the idea of using a new book (Tiddler) as it might give you an edge- you are current and up-to-date!

Good luck! How come the class is going to be eight years R, 1 and 2? Is it a teeny weeny school?

19. Yes its a very very tiny school.

I am going to use 'The Snail and the Whale' now.

Thanks for your post