1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

less than unqualified teacher's salary on GTP?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cuyocksol, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I understand that GTP trainees are supposed to get paid by the school on the unqualified teacher's scale. The TDA website gives this impression anyway, and I have seen Welsh Wizard say so on this forum!

One of the schools I have currently applied for for 2012-13 GTP is a 'one stop shop' who are also a training provider. They are obviously a very popular school/trainer and very over-subscribed. HOWEVER! They pay trainees significantly less than the unqualified teacher's salary. My understanding is this: They get a certain grant for salaries (from the TDA?), but this is not as much as the unqualified teacher's salary. I heard from another school's deputy that schools are expected to top this amount up, but the place in question does not do that. The friendly deputy told me effectively they're only paying trainees on a level of classroom assistant.

I rang the TDA to enquire about this and they said that a school is under no obligation to pay as much as the unqualified rate, and that scale is shown on the GTP section of the website for guidance only...............!!

At a 'public' information session at the school in question one potential applicant asked about the salary offered, and we were told by the head trainer "If you want to get rich, you're going into the wrong profession!" However, like me, I'm sure many GTP candidates already have family commitments, a mortgage, etc and it would mean a huge loss in earnings to get less that the unqualified rate... So this is a big question for me.

Any comments/advice gratefully accepted!

2. sorry - no paragraphs... because I'm using Google Chrome..? :-/

3. But how can the TDA categorically state, "Your school will pay you an unqualified teacher's salary" if this is not the case?
    Does the 'Graduate Teacher Programme' still exist in name only if its underlying precepts have been eroded like this?

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

But they don't, do they?
    You rang them yourself and they confirmed the school does not have to pay the full rate - that the website "provides guidance".
    (Sorry, if you can't cope with being led along the garden path with little lies like that one on the website, you're really going to struggle with the big lies you need to pay lip service to in order to survive as a teacher!)

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Not for the first time the TDA advice is incorrect. Teachers employed under the school teachers pay and conditions document are required to accord with the national salary scales. If they are not then please bring the cases to the attention of your unions and the local press. There was a hard fought battle when GTP was introduced to ensure that the profession would not be undermined by " cheap trainees". May I also say in my experience some of these training providers can operate a hire and fire policy. They take the TDA salary grant -currently around 15k -each year but do not seem to employ their trainees afterwards! As with all ITT you need to look at the quality of the training and whether you wopuld get the support needed to cope with a demanding training route.
    I am sure there will be there will be more of these sorts of cutbacks and short cuts as schools try and get more for less.

6. To be honest I think you're lucky to be getting any pay at all to train to be a teacher. In the primary sector we have no shortage of teachers or applicants for jobs. Quite why any school would willingly take on a GTP student at cost to them - I have no idea. I get an increasing number of people contact me asking if we'd taken them on as a GTP student and I do feel rotten saying no - but what is in it for schools now? Our budgets are being cut as it is. I did train a GTP student up last year as they were a TA in our school already and we worked out that if we used them for supply for a small number of days a year that it would make up for the extra budget we had to find to pay them. They'd been a TA for years and it was seen as rewarding them for their dedication. I honestly can't understand why a school would take on someone where there was no prior connection.
    The upshot of what I'm saying is that if somewhere is willing to pay you 16k to train, or even 10k, I'd go for it - otherwise you'll have to fund yourself a PGCE. I appreciate you have a mortgage etc but since there is no longer a teacher shortage why would anyone pay you to train?

7. I've been accepted onto a London Secondary Maths GTP and part of the conditin of my offer was that my school had to be willing to pay me on the Unqualified Teacher Pay Scale. They said if they weren't willing to pay this then they could not give an offer. However, I got really lucky and my school are topping it up to 19995

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Either the GTP is a training route for employed teachers and therefore subject to statutory requirements governing teachers pay and conditions or it is not! if it is not then what is it?
    The argument you should be grateful for any pay has been used over the years to justify many shortcuts and poor quality provision.This route only leads in one direction and that is down!

9. thanks Welshie...
    some of the people replying to me on this forum seem to have an extremely negative/fatalistic attitude (perhaps that's my future after ten years of school teaching..! ;-) andeven criticising me personally for expecting money as if the GTP is a daydream of mine! Either the scheme is still running or it is not.
    Anyway, I posted my question on the 'Get into Teaching' page of the TDA on Facebook (before I had an email address for them) and I did get back an encouraging response:
    Of course I emailed them my more detailed concerns... but have not yet received a response (2 weeks on). Surely this sort of thing is a fairly big issue and may lead to questions as to the future viability of the GTP.