1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Less than 0.3% of schools surveyed had an "A" rated display energy certificate

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Only 29 of the 11,993 primary and secondary schools surveyed in England and Wales by LessEn had a energy rating of "A" and 14% had the worst rating of "G".
    How far are schools going to improve their energy ratings and should head teachers be made accountable for poor performance?
    The work of LessEn was highlighted by FMX magazine and described the example that Dorset Council has set in improving energy performance in schools

2. Only 29 of the 11,993 primary and secondary schools surveyed in England and Wales by LessEn had a energy rating of "A" and 14% had the worst rating of "G".
    How far are schools going to improve their energy ratings and should head teachers be made accountable for poor performance?
    The work of LessEn was highlighted by FMX magazine and described the example that Dorset Council has set in improving energy performance in schools

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Old buildings, old equipment. There is only so much that can be done without funding.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We are responsible, <u>for educational performance</u>. The clue is in the title, we are head teachers our job is to provide the best possible education for the children in our care.
    Anything else is just a waste of my time - perhaps the site manager would be a more appropriate person to have this responsibility. Or maybe a nominated governor.
    Honestly, this sort of nonsense which makes us responsible for everything down to the amount of methane our pupils produce due to the content of school dinners really gets my goat.
    No wonder we have a recruitment crisis.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I forgot to add, your title should be "Fewer that 0.3% of schools..." not less than.

6. bnm

bnm

My building's over a 100 years old, regularly vandalised, and we have a negative amount of devolved capital.
    How do you suggest we save energy?

7. School buildings are the responsibilty of the Local Authority, unltimately, schools are rather like tenants.
    So, if my landlord would give my building double glazed windows, a modern boiler and a modern, energy efficient heating system as well as a new roof which would be thermally efficient; then I could make a significant impact on my energy use.

8. I'd like to not stand too close but see all that methane the children produce put to good use as an alternative heat source. Fuel for thought.

9. Do most head teachers think that they have no responsibility for the financial running of a school, even if they do have building manager?
    Can teaching life skills, including understanding about resource efficiency be included as a measure of educational performance?
    Learning opportunities can be extracted from making a building more energy efficient and schools don't all need to be "A" rated, they just need to move forwards.
    Old buildings generally present more opportunities to save both energy and money
    In a recent Eco Schools pilot, some schools reduced energy consumption by over 40% in a year, mainly by creating positive behavioural change. Creating positive behavioural change must fall within the teaching remit and the spin benefit is saving money.
    Are there no head teachers that can see the benefits of saving energy? Would they waste it at home?
    Is there any success stories??

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm sure there <u>are</u>.

11. I wait in eager anticipation!
    I hope I won't be disappointed?

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you will - why should any heads waste their time explaining themselves to you?

13. Is accountability a thing of the past?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Not at all, but accountability to a salesman has never been part of my remit.

15. Are there any shining examples of good practice in relation to energy efficiency and its integration as a learning opportunity? There are big changes on the way in relation to the subject in the next few years and now is the time to get the benefit of knowledge already gained by others.
    Responsibility will fall to a new generation of head teachers to carry the agenda forwards, with a positive view on change and the learning opportunities that it creates. Work currently being carried out by the National College for School Leadership confirms this change will take a big step in the right direction.
    The article posted at the start of this discussion contained a link to an article demonstrating how well a whole county can work together and they set a great example to others. It should work any where.

16. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Well....I have an almost new school! the Junior part has been completely refurbished and an extension added to house the Infants, moving them from a very old building.
    We've had our energy rating visit and now proudly display our notice grading us B for energy efficiency!
    "Great" I thought as they handed it over.
    "Don't get too carried away!" said my business manager. "All they've done is graded us according to the amount of gas/electricity we are using for the size of the building"

She then reminded me that for the past year the gas supply to the infant block had been free of charge as no one will "own" up to owning the metre and being our supplier! Now that we have it sorted, and are paying for our gas, our bills are back up and our lovely certificate will soon be ripped from its place in the entrance hall!

17. The reality is you have a new building that is undoubtedly more energy efficient than the old one, so regardless of who has supplied/paid for the gas, you will probably be using a lot less than you were before.

My view is that the most important issue is improvement in performance and that the measure is not necessarily that important.

Have you looked at behavioral change to save energy? If not, you could record the energy performance from the time you have taken over the building and then bench mark against new figures when lights and computers etc have been turned off when not in use.

Having someone else pay for your gas has got to be a bonus, but if they do reduce your energy rating, why not question it on the basis of the maths? In my view the buildings performance should be just that, regardless of who pays the bills

18. How many low rated schools have you visited Tony? In my faculty only one classroom has double-glazing, all of the others have single-glazed windows with metal frames, quite a few of which don't close properly. The central heating is inefficient and our classrooms are cold in the winter - I wear fingerless gloves outside of teaching hours because my hands get so cold. The ceilings have damp patches and three of our rooms have bad leaks in heavy rain (after the weather we've had recently the carpets are making the rooms stink). In this situation, with vastly reduced budgets and staff redundancies, what would you suggest a head teacher do?

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Maybe Tony thinks sustainability is the only issue we have to face. Clearly Brookes your head should sack all teachers and spend the money saved on fitting double glazing. That'll learn em!

20. Brookes, your school will clearly be running very inefficiently with significant energy wastage creating high costs. The environment to teach and learn is obviously not ideal either and teachers will probably leave before they 'get sacked to pay for double glazing'.
    Clearly improvements need to be made to the building to both save money and create a better working environment. Eco Schools have done a pilot on energy audits and could be a good starting point to get advice link. Grants are available for certain types of improvements and Siemens Carbon Trust loans can provide schools will low rate finance. It sounds like the return on investment in your school should be really short as the wastage at present will be high. It would make sense to deal with the problems sooner rather than later.
    I have visited a few very energy efficient schools, some new and some refurbished. A good building is just the starting point and energy can still be wasted by leaving lights on etc.
    If your school is improved, money will be saved and maybe you could eventually gain a few teachers with the money saved. There is plenty of support available (much of it free), so take advantage of it and hopefully end up with a better place to work.