1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Less pay than advertised

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Samiul27, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

I recently got a new job which is due to start in September. The pay advertised was TLR 2M (£6369).

I got a confirmation of employment letter today stating TLR 2b (£2300).
    I double checked the advert and it does say £6369.

What do I do?

I don't even know what TLR 2M is, it's usually TLR (a,b or c).

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

First I'd check that this isn't an honest mistake (with whoever issued the confirmation letter). If it is what they think, you should talk to your union.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What they advertised is irrelevant. What matters is what they offered you in the job offer letter that you accepted. What did that say?

4. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

The job offer letter says TLR £2721

5. FrankWolley

Was this made clear to you when you accepted the post? Or, at that point did you only have the job advert saying what the pay was?

6. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

I only had the job advert stating what the pay was, pay was never discussed.

7. FrankWolley

First I'd check with the school, nicely suggesting there seems to have been a mistake, quoting the advertisement.

If there is no mistake, do you still want the job? If not you may be able to withdraw stating that this isn't the job you accepted....But check with your union. If you DO want the post, you could try to get your Union to negotiate a salary increase on your behalf.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

I'm confused. Your reply to me says there was a job offer letter but your reply to Frank implies you were offered the job based on the advertised salary. If the latter where does the "TLR £2721" come from?

If they sent you a formal job offer letter after the interview saying the salary would be £2,721 and you accepted it in writing then that is the salary you agreed and accepted. They seem to have rounded that up in your contract to £2,300 for some reason. It's irrelevant what the original advert said, it wasn't a job offer and isn't part of your contract of employment.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Piranha, agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’m afraid this is where you went wrong. Many examples on here of people accepting jobs without first establishing the details of the offer. Don’t do it people.

10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I would send an email or contact the person who sent you the offer letter and ask them to clarify as you noticed that the TLR advertised is different to what you’ve been offered. It might just be a clerical error as HR will no doubt have a load of other contracts to send out too.

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you replied to a letter offering you the post at TLR £2721, and accepted it, that's all you can expect to get. If the advert said £6369, the time to query that was when the job offer didn't say the same thing. It might have been an error, or they might have decided that due to some aspect of your experience, that they would offer you a lesser post than that originally advertised - in which case you could try negotiating, and if unsuccessful, take it or leave it.

You seem to have a third figure in the contract, but as you accepted the job at £2721, I think they can get away with correcting it to that, and not £6369. Of course, as the 2721 might have been an error, you could try saying "but it was advertised as 6369" - if it should have been 6369 all along, it will hopefully be rectified, but if they say "no, you accepted 2721", then you probably have to put up with that.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rounded it up? What am I talking about! They seem to have reduced the £2,721 in the offer letter to £2,300 in your contract. They cannot do that.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  13. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

Here's my take on it - if you go for a job with a salary advertised and you accept the job verbally then that's OK. If you then get a letter that states a different TLR then politely ask the school, as others have said. If they come back and say, that the TLR in the letter is correct, then restate your point about the advertisement. If they still won't budge then as yourself if you really want to work for an employer that would do that to you. My answer would be a "hell naw" and I would walk away.

If you go for a job that has a TLR advertised then unless they tell you that they are offering it lower, you have every right to expect the advertised rate, anything else is just wrong. Earlier in my career, I went for an interview and the school came back and said to all of the candidates that they didn't feel that any of us was a string enough candidate to offer a permanent contract and would only offer 12 months. Most of us walked away. Moving the goalposts this way could say a lot about the school if it isn't a clerical error.

14. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

The £2300 was a mistake on my part it is £2,721 in the letter. I still have a screen shot of the original post on their website with £6369.

I will be contacting the school and see what they say.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My own take on it would be that if you accepted the job verbally before you were told the terms, then you have a strong case. However, if you accepted after being told the value of the TLR, I am not so sure. A contract is not establishes until it has been offered and accepted. So, can you tell us if you accepted before or after the offer letter?

In either case, the obvious thing to do is to start off with a polite "is this a mistake?", as suggested by others. It may well turn out to be true. If the answer is no, and you want to fight it, you will need union assistance. It may not be easy. Some people have suggested that a contract which has been made and accepted can be rescinded if one person gives notice by what would be the notice date to leave at the start of the contract. There have been several threads involving a teacher wanting to recant an job acceptance like this. I do not agree, but they might be right. I am afraid it comes down too the theme of the last few years - don't accept a job until you have the terms in writing.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

If the OP is expected to sign & return a copy of the letter (which is often the case, or at least used to be), perhaps he could cross out the amount shown, and replace it with the advertised amount (and say 'in line with your advertisement of...'). That puts the onus back on the school to either accept it, or not. If it is the latter, the OP can presumably turn the job down as no valid contract exists...

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Assuming that the OP had not seen the altered terms before accepting the job. And that they have not given in their notice.

jlishman2158 and annascience2012 like this.
  18. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

Received the letter yesterday (nothing to sign and return), not accepted anything in writing yet. I have emailed the school to seek clarification.

19. FrankWolley

In that case, wait to see what they say. Hopefully it is just an error.

PS 'Not accepted anything in writing yet' - presumably you accepted the post verbally...that IS valid and legally binding, but if the salary hadn't been mentioned, and all you had to go on was the advert, then I'd say (but I'm not a lawyer) you have a very strong case to be able to withdraw claiming bad faith on behalf of the school. But speak to your union first.

jlishman2158, agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  20. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

Any updates?

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.